My new Jeep..?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

My new Jeep..?

January 2nd, 2003, 1:10 am #1

Need some advice about my new ride that I bought in the fall.It is a Cdn Forces 1987 YJ Jeep that my cousin got in Smith Falls while he was living in Pet.It Still Has its antennae mount and a functional 24 volt converter and a few other DND toys. My question is when and why did the Army buy these?
I was with the 4th Btn RCR in 89 but don't remember these at all and wonder where they were in service.Have had some suggestions that these were a stop gap purchase for Iltis Losses or that they were for Eastern Militia units only.These were at best speculation though. Anybody know the story on these odd little trucks or where I can get parts? cheers,Mike.

Rob Dekker
Rob Dekker

January 2nd, 2003, 3:07 pm #2

I saw a number of these Jeeps go up for auction a few years ago in Southern Ontario, I thought they were used strictly by military police.

Neil
Neil

January 3rd, 2003, 4:07 am #3

Folks,

I recall seeing one of these Jeep YJs sitting in the compound of the armouries in Belleville, Ontario in the late 80s. To say that it looked so very "out of place" in comparison to the Iltis and the other vehicles was something of an understatement. It really did look like Private Bloggins had painted his dad's Jeep green and forgot to take it home after a night at the mess.

Neil

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

January 3rd, 2003, 11:22 pm #4

Need some advice about my new ride that I bought in the fall.It is a Cdn Forces 1987 YJ Jeep that my cousin got in Smith Falls while he was living in Pet.It Still Has its antennae mount and a functional 24 volt converter and a few other DND toys. My question is when and why did the Army buy these?
I was with the 4th Btn RCR in 89 but don't remember these at all and wonder where they were in service.Have had some suggestions that these were a stop gap purchase for Iltis Losses or that they were for Eastern Militia units only.These were at best speculation though. Anybody know the story on these odd little trucks or where I can get parts? cheers,Mike.
I have seen a number of these YJs used as general run-abouts on Canadian military bases in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Robert
Robert

January 4th, 2003, 2:46 am #5

During my few years of service during the early 90's I would see these used by base transport sections on the various bases I was posted to. As Ed says by service battalion personel as runabout vehicles. As a soldier in the combat arms I only learned to drive SMP vehicles and I can tell you the YJ was not classed as such. I never saw a YJ out on field excersises and never saw one in Europe. I also never saw one caked in mud. So unless the transmission was abused you probably got this one in very good shape as your photo shows.

January 4th, 2003, 3:13 am #6

... up at Borden in the late 80s. I've never looked closely at them, but as an old YJ guy (360K on two of them), I'd say these were box-stock except for the paint job. That would include weak 3.09 diffs, soft springs and lousy tires.... I can't imagine any of these in mil service being anything other than runabouts.

If you want to make a decent off-roader out of this one, look for a set of old Cherokee axles (4.10s), put in a 2-inch suspension lift and good, medium tread 31x10.50 tires (I liked Yokohamas) on 8-inch wheels. THEN go have some fun...

January 4th, 2003, 4:38 am #7

These answers explain alot......Like I said from 89- 93,I don,t ever remember seeing any of these around Wolseley Barracks,just iltis. It Is pretty stock,I guess,with 24 volt switch were the radio should be as well as a large radio tray on the rear driver side wheel well,not sure what set went in this, radio antennae mount behind rear tire,as well as lots of DND stickers ,do's and don,ts,and of course EVERYTHING painted OD green. Only had 29,000 Km when my cousin bought it and its just turning 90,000 now,so its in pretty good shape.It was real cheap so I was happy to get it for a fun vehicle for around town and in the bush. Top is getting a little rotten but I guess I,ll be screwed trying to find another OD green one for a YJ. Wouldn,t mind finding a whip ant. and an old radio for this vehicle.CBC might then rent it and cast it as a WW11 unit in its next highly accurate war drama.

January 4th, 2003, 3:55 pm #8

This is just an off-chance, but try it. The YJ Sahara Edition commercial model came with a light khaki green top, rear window and side curtains back in the late 80s at least (when you ordered the convertible); I had a 1988 one which I bought new right off the lot, equipped exactly like that. In 1989, production was shifted from Brampton to the U.S. and I don't know whether the convertible from then on offered the same - I had a 1992 Sahara, but a hard top - but it's worth checking out through the dealer network.

Your other alternate is checking with Bestop in the U.S. as they make most of the aftermarket canvas. Buy a selection of 4 X 4 magazines and check THEIR ads as well. You might get lucky, although the aftermarket stuff uses different hardware than the stock convertible.

Good luck!

Geoff

PS: I put 350K on my '92 Sahara, with the aforementioned mods... they're good trucks!

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

January 4th, 2003, 4:18 pm #9

These answers explain alot......Like I said from 89- 93,I don,t ever remember seeing any of these around Wolseley Barracks,just iltis. It Is pretty stock,I guess,with 24 volt switch were the radio should be as well as a large radio tray on the rear driver side wheel well,not sure what set went in this, radio antennae mount behind rear tire,as well as lots of DND stickers ,do's and don,ts,and of course EVERYTHING painted OD green. Only had 29,000 Km when my cousin bought it and its just turning 90,000 now,so its in pretty good shape.It was real cheap so I was happy to get it for a fun vehicle for around town and in the bush. Top is getting a little rotten but I guess I,ll be screwed trying to find another OD green one for a YJ. Wouldn,t mind finding a whip ant. and an old radio for this vehicle.CBC might then rent it and cast it as a WW11 unit in its next highly accurate war drama.
Damn, as I'm reading your post, I'm thinking...wonder if he wants to get rid of that useless radio mount piece of kit...Then you say you want to find a radio etc for it.

If you're going to go that route, you'll be looking for the Receiver-Transmitter Radio RT-524A/VRC to be inserted into your Mounting MT 1029/VRC.(+/- $800.00)

You'll also need the Antenna AS-1729/VRC assy which includes the Matching Unit-Base, Antenna MX-6706/VRC. Antenna Element AS-1730/VRC and Antenna Element AT-1095/VRC.

See what you're getting into...and we havn't even mentioned headsets, i/c boxes and all sorts of other necessary goodies.

Still want to keep the installation tray? Can we talk?

January 4th, 2003, 5:11 pm #10

Wow,Jon......You really know how to hurt a guy! Sounds like more than I paid for the Jeep.....Are these various pieces available at all? Where would I find them?...Excuse My ignorance but I,m a Badge ,uniform,Weapons guy and still a novice at the vehicle,Radio Game.I,m just outside London Ontario,are there any dealers of that stuff in The southwest?It seems to me that a lot of the kit you mentioned has been or is scheduled to be replaced buy new comm kit very soon.Am I correct in saying that?
Anyway,I bought the thing as a first restoration Project and fun vehicle thinking it would be neat to look for all the parts and pieces and even though it is not yet a collectable vehicle that it would give me some valuable experience in this field.
Thanks to all that have so far responded,You guys have been a great help...and Geoff,I,ll follow up on your suggestions.....Thanks again...Cheers,Mike.