More on Bruce Beatty from March 1969 SENTINEL

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

More on Bruce Beatty from March 1969 SENTINEL

May 1st, 2009, 4:10 pm #1

The text of the article has been transcribed below. Note that the former Flight-Sergeant is now (in 1969) a Warrant Officer.

QUOTE:
Governor-General Roland Michener accepted the gold, red and white enamel chain of office of the Chancellor of the Order of Canada at year's end. Design of the chain was the work of Warrant Officer Bruce Beatty, CFHQ.

The chain was presented to the Governor-General by Mr E. F. Brown, acting Master of the Royal Canadian Mint.

The heavy and colourful chain consists of 23 small plaque-like devices linked by gold chain. At the centre is a shield bearing the Arms of Canada, surmounted by a crown. Hanging from it is the white enamel and gold badge of the Order of Canada, the decorations of which were designed during the Centennial year by WO Beatty.

When the Governor-General accepted the chain he complimented Mr. Brown on the Mint's craftmanship. He also praised the design of WO Beatty and the artmanship of Mr. Myron Cook, the Mint's chief engraver, both of whom were present at the ceremony.
UNQUOTE.

I've tried to fathom if there is any significance to there being 23 plaques on the chain, but I can't think of any.

Cheers,
Dan.

Monty
Monty

May 1st, 2009, 7:05 pm #2

Anyone know if Mr Beatty is still with us?

(PS put me down as liking the Order of Canada design-winners bTW are told to wear the little lapel pin version whenever in public