Mk III helmet chinstrap

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Mk III helmet chinstrap

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

August 15th, 2007, 4:02 am #1

Would someone be able to help me find a chinstrap to complete my recently acquired Mk III helmet?

GrantR, Medicine Hat, AB
GrantR, Medicine Hat, AB

August 15th, 2007, 4:38 pm #2

I think I have at least one extra chinstrap around, but will have to confirm that and also look in "Tin Lids" when I get home to see whether it is correct for the MkIII ...

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

August 15th, 2007, 6:50 pm #3

The Chin-strap Mk.III which is suitable for both later British Mk.II helmets and for the Mk.III, has one end sewn to a wire loop which engages one the the chin-strap lugs, while the other end passes through a wire slide buckle (which engages the other lug). The buckle end is folded and sewn over.
What you do not wnat is the Chin-strap Mk.IV, where the loop side is folded and sewn while the buckle side ends in a metal tag - this is peculiar to the Mk.IV helmet.

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

August 15th, 2007, 9:39 pm #4

I hope you have what I'm looking for Grant. Roger, I know exactly what your talking about. I have a nice MkIV with the MkIV chinstrap and not only is the metal fitting on the end different from the MkIII, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the MkIII is more of a khaki / tan color as opposed to the green color of the MkIV.

GrantR, Medicine Hat, AB
GrantR, Medicine Hat, AB

August 16th, 2007, 4:10 am #5

I have been unable to locate the spare strap(s) I thought I had .... may have let them go at some time ...

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

August 16th, 2007, 4:45 am #6

Thanks for the effort. Cheers!

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

August 16th, 2007, 11:16 am #7

I hope you have what I'm looking for Grant. Roger, I know exactly what your talking about. I have a nice MkIV with the MkIV chinstrap and not only is the metal fitting on the end different from the MkIII, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the MkIII is more of a khaki / tan color as opposed to the green color of the MkIV.
Post-war Mk.IV chin-straps are indeed greener than the war-time versions, but note, Mk.IV helmets were made through 1945 and their chin-straps are khaki.
Roger

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

August 17th, 2007, 12:53 am #8

Thanks for the effort. Cheers!
What price glory has some unissued late war straps for $2.00 a piece.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 23rd, 2007, 7:22 pm #9

Post-war Mk.IV chin-straps are indeed greener than the war-time versions, but note, Mk.IV helmets were made through 1945 and their chin-straps are khaki.
Roger
Hi Steve,

I have a Canadian MKII chinstrap for sale if this will do, let me know.

Gary

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

August 23rd, 2007, 7:23 pm #10