Miniature OG107 Combat Uniforms

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Miniature OG107 Combat Uniforms

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 11th, 2012, 12:49 am #1

Decades before Dragon marketed its line of collectable figures and about the same time as the original GI Joe was being sold in the stores, the Canadian Army produced a series of miniature OG107 Combat uniforms for display at conferences and trade shows. I have some of these miniature items in my collection and here are some images of the Jackets.

July 11th, 2012, 11:38 am #2

...are the buttons?
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

July 11th, 2012, 12:30 pm #3

Decades before Dragon marketed its line of collectable figures and about the same time as the original GI Joe was being sold in the stores, the Canadian Army produced a series of miniature OG107 Combat uniforms for display at conferences and trade shows. I have some of these miniature items in my collection and here are some images of the Jackets.

Remarkable level of detail! It's the first I have ever heard of them, Ed. Was there much of a production run?

Terry Hunter
Terry Hunter

July 11th, 2012, 12:54 pm #4

I think I was issued that jacket when I first joined the PEI Regiment back in 1977 - size "Too Small".

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 11th, 2012, 4:38 pm #5

Buttons - too small to boil into soup, in this case they only make a broth.

Unfortunately I have no idea who made these garments or how many were manufactured. The level of detail in these miniatures is quite exact.

July 11th, 2012, 11:24 pm #6

. . . we had a Captain in 1 RCR in the 70's, who could have worn this combat jacket . . . in the field, from behind, he looked like a rucksack with boots

Mark

Geoff Middleton
Geoff Middleton

July 12th, 2012, 1:55 am #7

But it's not April 1, so you've got me wondering this time.

July 13th, 2012, 12:41 pm #8

I've seen a few 1:6 scale jackets by different manufacturers, and while it is possible to miniaturize buttons, seam lines, pockets, etc., the one thing almost impossible to miniaturize is a zipper. There are some very small ones now, but in the 1970s - the timeline Ed has suggested - I don't know of any. "Vintage" 1:6 scale clothing (G.I. Joe/Barbie/etc.) was usually recognizable by the huge zippers on them.

On second glance at the photo, the zipper looks impossibly small.

So does the quilting on the liner.

Any chance of some close up shots of the stitching and details?

Last edited by dorosh on July 13th, 2012, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

July 13th, 2012, 12:45 pm #9

...I have indeed seen some 1:6 scale or close to 1:6 scale vehicles (I believe Iltis and Leopard tank) at the Museum of the Regiments many years ago, in the collections area. I don't know if these were training aids or, as Ed mentions, for trade show displays. I think recruiting offices used to have miniature hardware on display also - miniature tanks, jets, ships, etc. So the notion of a miniature uniform doesn't strike me as completely unlikely, though my initial question was - what would they do with a tiny jacket? Lay it on the table? Put it on a miniature coatrack?
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 13th, 2012, 4:19 pm #10

The uniforms were displayed on figures, much like GI Joes. I have the figures as well and will take a few more images. The figures are in rough shape as the plastic is brittle. The zippers on the uniforms are impossibly small and the stitching work in very delicate.

ED