military bible

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

military bible

June 23rd, 2012, 10:16 am #1

Hi all I live in the uk and a friend has just given me a military bible he found under the floorboards of a hotel in Brighton about 20 years ago.There were many Canadian servicemen based here during WW2 including those involved in the Dieppe raids. I would like to trace the owner or his family and return the bible to him.
The details are as follows Pt W.T**ford or something similar , his number is A.11419 and what looks like Hq col,his address is listed as 602 Front st Stratford ONT.
Can anyone help identify this man ? He probably went off to war from Brighton wondering where his bible went.

June 23rd, 2012, 2:36 pm #2

Based on his service number, I believe he was from the Perth Regiment. You may want to contact the adjutant of the Perth's via this website:

http://www.perthregiment.org/

Dan

June 23rd, 2012, 5:26 pm #3

Dan;

Just a note, contacting the Adjutant of The Perth Regiment, is going to be hard to do, considering that the regiment was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 28 February 1965. The website you've directed Tony to, is for the Museum of Applied Military History's military re enactment commemorative unit of the wartime Perth Regiment, which was created in 1990, although, they may be able to get Tony into contact with the Perth Regiment Veterans' Association.

Cheers

Mark

tony
tony

June 23rd, 2012, 6:05 pm #4

many thanks guys ,Ive sent an email to the address given so hopefully the trail will carry on

June 23rd, 2012, 8:34 pm #5

Dan;

Just a note, contacting the Adjutant of The Perth Regiment, is going to be hard to do, considering that the regiment was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 28 February 1965. The website you've directed Tony to, is for the Museum of Applied Military History's military re enactment commemorative unit of the wartime Perth Regiment, which was created in 1990, although, they may be able to get Tony into contact with the Perth Regiment Veterans' Association.

Cheers

Mark
Ooops, thanks Mark. My shamed-face has red cheeks. In any case, I hope Tony is able to contact someone who can help

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

June 23rd, 2012, 8:52 pm #6

. . . we are getting older . . . and forgetful . . .

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

June 23rd, 2012, 9:43 pm #7

". . . we are getting older . . . and forgetful . . ."

Speak for yourself!!! (What was the topic?)

June 23rd, 2012, 10:55 pm #8

I also looked at the re-enactment site and was very impressed. There are some terrific WW2 photos posted and there is access to a fairly large list of those who served in The Perth Regiment in WW2. Interesting!

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

June 24th, 2012, 1:05 am #9

". . . we are getting older . . . and forgetful . . ."

Speak for yourself!!! (What was the topic?)
. . . the topic is: "Canadian Military Headdress" . . . now get back to work before you forget again . . .