Lots of Stuff

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Lots of Stuff

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 25th, 2009, 4:05 am #1

This is from the May, 1945 edition of The Signalman. Lots of stuff, wonder where it all went.

[/IMG]

Jaime Cline
Jaime Cline

April 27th, 2009, 7:24 pm #2

: )

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 27th, 2009, 11:30 pm #3

This is from the May, 1945 edition of The Signalman. Lots of stuff, wonder where it all went.

[/IMG]
Among other things, in 1946 Canada donated one division's worth of vehicles, weapons, clothing et al to Holland. A lot was shipped back to Canada and stored against future needs.
In 1955 I took the Army Cadet Signals course at Camp Borden. Part of the course was operating WS 19 radio sets mounted in CMP vehicles FFW - fitted for wireless. The qualification certificate which I still have indicated I had qualified as an Infantry Signaller Group 1.

DT.

April 28th, 2009, 12:52 pm #4

Were you, by any chance, sent to QM to draw a "Zero Beat"?

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 28th, 2009, 1:23 pm #5

Nope and not for a bucket of fight line either.

DT.

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

April 30th, 2009, 12:27 am #6

: )
I was at Borden around the same time at CTTC (Cadet Trades Training Centre), taking the D&M Course.

I too have a certificate crediting me with a Group 1 Driver Mechanical Transport qualification.

Whilst you operated your 19s in FFWs, we did D&M stuff on "strips" which were CMPs stripped right down to operating chassis.

Wonder what happened to them?

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

April 30th, 2009, 12:30 am #7

Among other things, in 1946 Canada donated one division's worth of vehicles, weapons, clothing et al to Holland. A lot was shipped back to Canada and stored against future needs.
In 1955 I took the Army Cadet Signals course at Camp Borden. Part of the course was operating WS 19 radio sets mounted in CMP vehicles FFW - fitted for wireless. The qualification certificate which I still have indicated I had qualified as an Infantry Signaller Group 1.

DT.
Ooops...wrong addressee...but DT I'm sure you got the message.

BTW, our barracks were on the site of the now redundant "hole"...The REGHQ (Regional Emergency Government Headquarters.)

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 30th, 2009, 1:07 am #8

we called you the grease monkeys, always in your black coveralls, grease stripes on your face and hands. But I wish I had been able to take the D&M course and learned a useful skill.

DT.