Looking for photos-Canadian soldiers at the United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC)

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Looking for photos-Canadian soldiers at the United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC)

Dayalan S. Rajoo
Dayalan S. Rajoo

February 27th, 2017, 2:31 am #1

Good day!

My name is Dayalan and I am an Advocacy Officer with the High Commission of Canada in Malaysia.

I am currently working on producing a newsletter to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of relations between Canada & Malaysia.

As part of the content, I am putting together information on significant milestones & events that took place over the past 60 years that have Canadian-Malaysian links.

As such, I am looking for some good photographs of Canadian soldiers serving during the peacekeeping mission of the United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC) between 1960 and 1964 which I could use in the newsletter. It would be even more amazing if there were photographs of Canadian & Malaysian troops together in the field.

I have already written to Library & Archives & am trying my luck here as well.

I look forward to hearing from someone on this.

Cheers!

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

February 27th, 2017, 4:02 pm #2

Somewhere in my files, I have a picture of a Canadian Signals Corporal describing the massacre at Matadi.

I'll try to find and post it.

In our Reserve Signals unit (8 Signal Regiment) we had an RFTA (Regular Force Training Assistant) named Lawton (Lou) Harris who wore the "Congo" device attached to his campaign ribbon. I distinctly remember chatting with him since he wore TWs which were not on issue to Reserve Sigs.

Jealous ? Yes!

February 28th, 2017, 2:00 pm #3

Good day!

My name is Dayalan and I am an Advocacy Officer with the High Commission of Canada in Malaysia.

I am currently working on producing a newsletter to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of relations between Canada & Malaysia.

As part of the content, I am putting together information on significant milestones & events that took place over the past 60 years that have Canadian-Malaysian links.

As such, I am looking for some good photographs of Canadian soldiers serving during the peacekeeping mission of the United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC) between 1960 and 1964 which I could use in the newsletter. It would be even more amazing if there were photographs of Canadian & Malaysian troops together in the field.

Cheers!
Dayalan,

As the Canadian contribution to the ONUC consisted mainly of signals personnel I would suggest you contact the C&E Museum in Kingston. I'm sure they would be happy to assist you.

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/contacts.htm

The website provides you with the address, contact numbers and who you should speak with if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Dan.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

March 1st, 2017, 1:23 am #4

Good day!

Cheers!
Here is an image of a Canadian and a Malaysian taken during in 1960 during the UN Congo Mission.