Looking for opinions on RCA battledress

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Looking for opinions on RCA battledress

Steve F
Steve F

January 8th, 2011, 2:38 am #1

I picked up this battledress blouse because it is a good size, excellent condition and the value of all the separate parts (ie: insignia, battledress, beret) would be more than I paid for the group. It also came with a nice 45 dated beret with RCA cap badge that is definitely period applied. So, to get to the point, I am looking for opinions on whether or not this might possibly be an original badged tunic or not. The tunic is stamped March 1945 and the 2nd Corps disbanded in June of the same year. The other "oddity" is that there is a general service patch applied to the left sleeve which would have been removed when the soldier deployed overseas. The badges are applied with period correct type of thread but the combination of the tunic's date and GS badge doesn't seem correct to me. Would a soldier in Canada ever wear the 2nd Corps insignia? I'm thinking not. Is this possibly an original badged tunic or should I strip the badges and add them to my collection?

[/img]

Bill A
Bill A

January 8th, 2011, 2:44 am #2

Hello Steve, The diamond patch appears to be for Atlantic Command, not 2nd Corps.

Steve F
Steve F

January 8th, 2011, 3:53 am #3

I thought Atlantic command was a french grey color. Is the 2nd corps badge a darker blue?

Clive
Clive

January 8th, 2011, 6:48 am #4

This is definitely Atlantic Command and a well-badged tunic with the GS badge. The 2nd Corps badge is dark Blue.
Clive

Steve F
Steve F

January 8th, 2011, 7:50 am #5

I was under the impression from my references that the Atlantic command patch was more in line with the color of the 3rd CID patch but I guess like many other insignia the actual colors vary. I blame my lack of knowledge in this area on the fact that very few of the "domestic" formation uniforms seem to turn up on the collector's market (at least where I live) and as such I have not handled many at all. I am quite pleased that I have found a good example to add to my collection although I'm not sure why I have been finding more RCA uniforms than anything else. I would expect to see many more of the support trades but even those haven't been presenting themselves. When I get back from my tour overseas I hope to spend some time as a volunteer at the LER museum which will hopefully give me the opportunity to examine their uniform collection and gain some more experience with a variety of insignia.

Thanks for preventing me from destroying a good uniform.

January 8th, 2011, 4:22 pm #6

From the colours on my monitor, the badge you are displaying is in fact in the colours of the 3rd Infantry Division. French Grey is a shade of blue-grey. I'm not sure what colour you associate with the 3rd Infantry division badge - but in practice it was anything from light grey to slate grey to teal. The photo you have provided shows an excellent representation of a blue-grey colour I would have no problem associating with the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division or Atlantic Command.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Steve F
Steve F

January 8th, 2011, 9:13 pm #7

But definitely not as blue as the 2nd Div patches that I've seen. The 3rd Div stuff I've seen has been very grey, no blue to it at all hence my confusion. This just goes to show that I need to get more hands on with insignia. I've collected field gear and the German stuff for quite a while and it's only within the last couple of years that I've changed my focus back to Canadian militaria which in hind site is where it probably should have been the whole time. Thanks again.

Clive
Clive

January 8th, 2011, 9:25 pm #8

Although we use the term "Frrench grey" when describing the 3rd Div and Atlantic Command colour the original description was 'bleu d'horizon' i.e., Horizon Blue. Not surprising then that the patch looks blue.

January 9th, 2011, 12:10 am #9

And everyone knows that Field Grey is really green.

Except when it wasn't.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Steve F
Steve F

January 9th, 2011, 12:57 am #10

Although we use the term "Frrench grey" when describing the 3rd Div and Atlantic Command colour the original description was 'bleu d'horizon' i.e., Horizon Blue. Not surprising then that the patch looks blue.
This discussion would never have had to take place if the references I looked at had used the term Horizon blue. But then there are many terms that are commonly used that are somewhat misleading to anyone who doesn't already know better.