Interesting new books

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Interesting new books

May 20th, 2007, 3:12 am #1

Hi there

Picked up a new (to me) two volume set of books "Index to Overseas Deaths of Ontario Servicemen and Service Women 1939-1947"

Yes, I know, a real grabber of a title. It's published by the Ontario Genealogical Society and represents a HUGE amount of data colation by the editors. It's not a all things to all people thing, but a great starting point to further reference. It lists the fatalities name, hometown, branch of serivce, date of death and some details about how it happened.

First thing I though of, it's a valuable addition to local knowledge about cenotaphs, which only list the names of the dead. This book will help fill in details, the first hand knowledge of which is rapidly disappearing.

I may just walk over to the Peterborough Cenotaph tomorrow.

Steve

PS How long has 'Tangled Web' been back in print?

May 20th, 2007, 4:52 am #2

TW has never been out of print. The publisher, Museum Restoration Servicce, is not great at marketing and waits for the world to come to it. MRS originally printed several thousand of these but only bound about 500. What you are seeing now is still the first edition but with a new binding and, because of a binder's error, a dust jacket.

May 20th, 2007, 3:13 pm #3

Geez, talk about a tangled web!

I never heard about Museum Restoration whatsit before. Rather casual in their business dealings, are they?

Steve