Interesting Image

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Interesting Image

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

January 1st, 2008, 4:55 am #1

Here is an interesting image that shows a nice mix of equipment.

[/IMG]

January 1st, 2008, 7:24 am #2

Not much of a mix. The US M1 helmet, probably post-1943 and as issued to Pacific Area. Standard Pattern 1937 W.E. and No.4 rifle.

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

January 1st, 2008, 8:27 am #3

Here is an interesting image that shows a nice mix of equipment.

[/IMG]
Nice photo. Besides the M1 helmets is there something else out of the ordinary that I don't see? It would seem that the term "interesting" is really quite subjective. You might remember the last time that I declared something interesting on this forum...

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

January 1st, 2008, 12:42 pm #4

Not much of a mix. The US M1 helmet, probably post-1943 and as issued to Pacific Area. Standard Pattern 1937 W.E. and No.4 rifle.
How about -
Moderately Boring Image With Not Much in it to Look At.

Bill A
Bill A

January 1st, 2008, 12:47 pm #5

Nice photo. Besides the M1 helmets is there something else out of the ordinary that I don't see? It would seem that the term "interesting" is really quite subjective. You might remember the last time that I declared something interesting on this forum...
The insignia is interesting. Appears to be the Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury Regt shoulder title over the Pacific Command formation patch. Seldom seen combination in actual wear.

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

January 1st, 2008, 2:19 pm #6

Ottawa received its unintended order of 200,000 M-1s in early April 1943 so a lot of them could have been made in 1942. On 10 June, 1943, DND - having determined that the USA did not want the M-1s returned - shipped 50,000 M-1s to Edmonton and Vancouver for Pacific Command. Moreover the helmets in the picture have fixed chin-strap loops ("fixwed bale" in Amurcan) so they must have been made before November 1943.
Roger

David R. Clark
David R. Clark

January 1st, 2008, 3:33 pm #7

The insignia is interesting. Appears to be the Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury Regt shoulder title over the Pacific Command formation patch. Seldom seen combination in actual wear.
Just out of curiosity, is it still possible to find any remaining M-1s issued to Canada on the collectors market???

What were the stock numbers??

Happy New Year,

D.C->

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

January 1st, 2008, 3:48 pm #8

Well into the 1990s there used to be a good number of WWII vintage M1 Helmets available in Canada. The Canadian military was changing over at that time from the M1 to the CG634at that time, so a number were showing up as surplus. I am blaming Roger Lucy for getting me hooked on collecting M1s...

Here are three from my collection,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

January 1st, 2008, 5:16 pm #9

What about the M1C paratrooper helmet?

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

January 1st, 2008, 5:56 pm #10

The wartime Canadian use of M1 parachutists helmets is discussed in Ken Joyce's new book, but quantities involved were miniscule compared to the 200,000 ground-troops M-1s delivered in April 1943. Examples are very hard to find - so much so that neither Ed nor I have one! (on the other hand Ed's ground-troops M-1 shown above with its Hawley liner and Riddle webbing is also very scarce and was manufactured sometime before November 1942.) Hawley and low pressure M-1 liners used to show up relativly frequently in Canada. I suspect the Americans were emptying out the back corners of their depots when they shipped those helmets north in March/April 1943)