Interesting find

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Interesting find

January 4th, 2012, 3:35 am #1

Hey all. I was given a half open box of 1942 dated Dominion Arms stamped .303 ammo, in and amongst them though, I happened to find a couple 1916 dated rounds. Thought it was kind of neat. Not sure how scarce rounds are of that vintage but thought I would share. They do seem to have been well stored over their life.

What does the CIA stand for on the box?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Chris

Clive Law - Service Publications
Clive Law - Service Publications

January 4th, 2012, 2:48 pm #2

I believe it is Chief Inspector Ammunition

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

January 5th, 2012, 2:03 am #3

Hey all. I was given a half open box of 1942 dated Dominion Arms stamped .303 ammo, in and amongst them though, I happened to find a couple 1916 dated rounds. Thought it was kind of neat. Not sure how scarce rounds are of that vintage but thought I would share. They do seem to have been well stored over their life.

What does the CIA stand for on the box?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Chris
I'm more suprised that the ammunition wasn't on issue to the Rangers...I've told the story before of being issued my first toque in 1988 - dated 1951. Or being given barracks kit in England in 1990 that was dated 1942. etc.

Others here have had similar stories...

January 5th, 2012, 5:04 pm #4

That's kind of funny but doesn't quite surprise me. I'm interested to see what kit I get issued in basic later this month, but I'm assuming i won't be getting 50's kit.

And thanks Clive for the help.

Chris

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

January 5th, 2012, 8:15 pm #5

Good luck with your training; you're lucky in that the Army of today has been brought up to relatively high standards in terms of pay, equipment and benefits, particularly if you're a reservist, who now enjoy dental and health benefits, pension plan, etc. Was all just a dream in decades past. Never mind the Gore-Tex boots and machine guns that fire 1100 bullets a minute.

Have fun and stay safe.

January 5th, 2012, 8:37 pm #6

Thanks Michael. I definitely do realize how much better things are now compared to how they used to be. Honestly, I think for someone of my age (21) the military is about the best way for good pay and benefits. As well as travel, which I hope gives me the opportunity to buy up some more militaria

Chris