Interesting 6th Hussars Helmet Decal

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Interesting 6th Hussars Helmet Decal

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

February 3rd, 2007, 3:52 am #1

A Friend of mine in Holland gave me this interesting and unusual helmet decal to the 6th Hussars....Interesting that it is marked H.Q. SQN. 5 C.A.D. (6H).Does anyone know who this company G&P is? Were all of these decals unit marked on the reverse?...Comments?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Cheers,Mike.

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

February 3rd, 2007, 11:52 am #2

Hi Mike;

Yes, there was such an animal:

Unit Serial: 562A - 5th Canadian (Armoured) Division Headquarters Squadron (6th Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars)
Authorized: GO 260/41 - Effective 27 Feb 41, Disbanded: GO 225/43 - Effective 1 Jan 43

Cheers

Mark

February 3rd, 2007, 5:16 pm #3

A Friend of mine in Holland gave me this interesting and unusual helmet decal to the 6th Hussars....Interesting that it is marked H.Q. SQN. 5 C.A.D. (6H).Does anyone know who this company G&P is? Were all of these decals unit marked on the reverse?...Comments?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Cheers,Mike.
...is probably Gale and Polden. They were well-known for their military publications, mostly books on military subjects aimed at officers who purchased their own material.
Early regs in WWII allowed for insignia to be worn on the helmet. Designs varied with the 48th wearing the same decal but with the falcon in different colours to identify the companies. I have come across (bad) copies of the approved insignia, on microfilm, at Archives. The black and white nature of the copies, combined withy the ilegible captions, rendered them useless for identification purposes.

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

February 4th, 2007, 6:56 pm #4

Great info Clive...Was G&P a Toronto Company?

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 4th, 2007, 7:51 pm #5

G&P was a UK based printing company who used to publish a wide variety of military manuals and publications.

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

February 5th, 2007, 12:37 am #6

Nice to have fellows around to tell me what I have under my own nose....found this in my desk....G&P...hmmmm...thanks gents...cheers,Mike
[/IMG]

February 5th, 2007, 12:54 am #7

You have Strome Galloway's Bren manual???

Nice!
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

February 5th, 2007, 1:37 am #8

Is that like having Bill Holden's scotch glass?.....Col Galloway used to be an Hon. Col in our Regt.wish I had his medals....I remember the old guy bent over trying to hold that rack up.
Antone else have any of these decals...I,d like to see them.
Cheers,Mike.

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

February 5th, 2007, 1:43 am #9

Hi Mike;

Yes, there was such an animal:

Unit Serial: 562A - 5th Canadian (Armoured) Division Headquarters Squadron (6th Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars)
Authorized: GO 260/41 - Effective 27 Feb 41, Disbanded: GO 225/43 - Effective 1 Jan 43

Cheers

Mark
Thanks for that Mark..I knew they were in 5th div at one time.Am I understanding this right that 6H or an element of 6H were HQ squadron only?....not a separate unit in 5th Div?

Jordan Baker
Jordan Baker

February 5th, 2007, 1:45 am #10

Is that like having Bill Holden's scotch glass?.....Col Galloway used to be an Hon. Col in our Regt.wish I had his medals....I remember the old guy bent over trying to hold that rack up.
Antone else have any of these decals...I,d like to see them.
Cheers,Mike.
Hi everyone.

A friend of mine has this one in his collection. It was scanned for me when I was making up the marking templates for my Mk1 Universal Carrier. Unfourtunatly I did not get a scan of the backside but I do remember it had directions on applying it.

Jordan