Info about a book....

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Info about a book....

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

May 3rd, 2012, 4:40 pm #1

Good day gentlemen. I understand that this forum is not about vehicule but perhaps someone can help me. I am offered a book titled "Canadian Military Vehicules Profiles" Vol.2 by William Gregg,1981. A really interesting book on all kind of canadian 2dn ww carriers,tanks and trucks with photos and line drawings with the pages covered in some kind of protective plastic. I've checked with used books website and it's not even listed.
So, can anyone tell me what kind of price I should expect to pay for this book ???
All help will be appreciated.
Jo

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

May 3rd, 2012, 7:53 pm #2

The forum covers all reasonable topics related to Canadian and Commonwealth armies in the period 1900-1999.

I'm familiar with the book in question; the only time I've ever seen one was when I loaned a copy from the University of Calgary library.

Canadian military themed hardcover books of similar vintage seem to fetch 100 to 200 dollars on auction sites.

I've seen copies of especially popular vehicle books like Hunnicutt's SHERMAN go for $500 and up. Depends on the title, rarity, etc. I'm not familiar with the going rate of Gregg's work specifically but would not be surprised to see it in the $200 to $500 range.

I frequent used bookstores in Calgary fairly frequently; I will keep an eye open for a copy here and if I find one can let you know via private email.

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

May 3rd, 2012, 11:22 pm #3

Good day gentlemen. I understand that this forum is not about vehicule but perhaps someone can help me. I am offered a book titled "Canadian Military Vehicules Profiles" Vol.2 by William Gregg,1981. A really interesting book on all kind of canadian 2dn ww carriers,tanks and trucks with photos and line drawings with the pages covered in some kind of protective plastic. I've checked with used books website and it's not even listed.
So, can anyone tell me what kind of price I should expect to pay for this book ???
All help will be appreciated.
Jo
Hi Jo
This book is approx $30 or $40 retail off the top of my head. I have approx 5 copies in stock at this time. Volume 1 you will pretty well never find. Volume 3 if I remember correctly is still available and I think I might have it in hand but I am not 100% sure. Mr Gregg has long since passed away and obviously his books are not available in general unless you know were to look. Hunnycuts books on the sherman and others have almost all been reprinted and retail for something like $90-110 each. I am presently out of stock on them but plan to reorder them in a few weeks. I hope this helps
Dave

May 4th, 2012, 12:17 pm #4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHERMAN-HISTORY ... 19c4b7fbb8

If Hunnicutt has been reprinted, and available, that is good news; here is a current ebay listing showing a 1994 edition going - right now - for 300 dollars on ebay.

Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

May 4th, 2012, 2:04 pm #5

Thank you very much Michael and Dave for your help on this subject, it's really appreciated.
Cheers
Jo