How long did we Canadians wear the "SNAKE CLASP" leather belt?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

How long did we Canadians wear the "SNAKE CLASP" leather belt?

November 10th, 2009, 7:09 pm #1

My question is regarding the period of use of the brass snake clasp leather belt with two brass "D" rings in the Canadian military

Was wondering if anyone out there has any idea when the leather belt with brass snake clasp
stopped being used or worn.

I know it was worn as part of the 1899 Cdn "Oliver" pattern leather equipment, and also worn by the British with the 1914 leather equipment as a stop gap when there was not enough p08' to go around.

Thanks
Roger

Geoff Middleton
Geoff Middleton

November 11th, 2009, 1:27 am #2

The Oliver belt in my collection belonged to my grandfather who served in the Ordnance Corps in the second world war, mostly in Calgary, and out at the POW camps in the foothills. It was his walking out belt I think.

November 11th, 2009, 2:17 pm #3

Thanks the reply, I must assume there was a large surplus of the Oliver pattern belts available as they were found inadequate by the British war office at the start of WW1. I t would make since that they would be issued here at home.

Thanks
R

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

November 11th, 2009, 9:06 pm #4

Canadian Army nursing sisters wore a leather belt with the snake buckle throughout WW2 and well into the 1960s.

DT

November 11th, 2009, 10:55 pm #5

I wonder if the nurses wore the pattern with the two "D" rings in the front made to attach to the 1899 Oliver Pattern?

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

November 12th, 2009, 1:47 am #6

Canadian Army nursing sisters wore a leather belt with the snake buckle throughout WW2 and well into the 1960s.

DT
I did more research into this topic on the Internet and found I may be wrong. Several pics on various sites show a leather belt with a two piece belt buckle, such as the men wore, with a large crown in the centre. Search Internet using "Canadian Army Nurses uniforms".

DT

November 12th, 2009, 4:01 am #7

Although Doug, you are right. The belts were used for long period after the Great War- I have seen photos of cadets pre-WWII using the belts. Maybe because they were the only ones who could fit into the tiny things. It was clear nutrition had improved after 1918.

Whether they were used after WWII, I have never seen photo evidence.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

November 12th, 2009, 1:35 pm #8

My question is regarding the period of use of the brass snake clasp leather belt with two brass "D" rings in the Canadian military

Was wondering if anyone out there has any idea when the leather belt with brass snake clasp
stopped being used or worn.

I know it was worn as part of the 1899 Cdn "Oliver" pattern leather equipment, and also worn by the British with the 1914 leather equipment as a stop gap when there was not enough p08' to go around.

Thanks
Roger
The Canadian Oliver Pattern leather Belts were worn by the Canadian Army with Service Dress well into the early 1940s. Belts of a similar style that were manufactured in the 1920s and 1930s were also worn at the same time. Cadet Corps and Reserve units would also have used these belts.

November 12th, 2009, 6:54 pm #9

Hey Ed

In ref' to your comment

"Belts of a similar style that were manufactured in the 1920s and 1930s"

Did these 1920's/30's models also include the two "D" rings?
Reason I ask is that I have four snake clasp belts
all with the double "D" rings, but the fourth belt I just got is in amazing condition...looks almost
too good for be from the Great war period so I was wondering if they would have made them with the unnecessary D rings in the 30's or 40's.

Cheers
Roger

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

November 12th, 2009, 8:12 pm #10

Roger:

Can you provide a photograph?

ED