Hong Kong

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Hong Kong

Ted Harris
Ted Harris

February 2nd, 2009, 4:46 pm #1

hello all...I will be going to Hong Kong in August 2009 for a conference..can anyone sugest places to go to get pictures of? other than the canadian military cemetaries? on a side note if anyone has requests for pictures of grave markers etc pass them on and i will be more than happy to take pictures and email them to you.

cheers

Ted

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

February 2nd, 2009, 7:10 pm #2

Thank you for asking. I don't have any requests but perhaps others do. Never been to HK but the anecdotes I have heard have not been encouraging; apparently urbanization has swallowed up many of the Second World War battlefields and the aromas of the island are something for the Westerner to contend with...although I understand the cemeteries, at least, are up to the usual CWGC standards. Hopefully I am simply misinformed.

February 5th, 2009, 8:28 pm #3

Ted,
The guy to hook up with is Tony Banham, an ex-pat Brit who lives there. He has written an excellent book about the battle and is following up with a second volume detailing the POWs. Tony knows every detail about the battle and the battlefield locations. Although I personally have not visited HK since the late 1950s when it still looked very much like the pre-war Colony of old, I imagine that many of the pillboxes and gun battery locations are still there in spite of the urban sprawl. Tony will know where to look.

You can reach him at: Tony@hongkongwardiary.com and/or check out his website
http://www.hongkongwardiary.com/book3thepows.html

Cheers,
Alex