Historic designations to be restored

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Historic designations to be restored

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

August 15th, 2011, 6:14 pm #1

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/08/15 ... k1%7C86414

The navy and air force to regain "Royal" designations, while LFC officially regains the "Army" designation.
Last edited by dorosh on August 15th, 2011, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

August 15th, 2011, 6:33 pm #2

This certainly leaves the door open to next bring back the 'Royal' designations for the Corps. I know in the case of the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, the corps was brought to nil strength by posting everyone over to the new Military Engineering Branch. The Corps was not disbanded, there is just no-one serving in it. I suspect that this is the same for the other corps.

I suspect there will be lots of new 'bling' coming on line for the badge collectors.

Also, will this see the return of Army Officers wearing stars and crowns?

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

August 15th, 2011, 7:13 pm #3

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/08/15 ... k1%7C86414

The navy and air force to regain "Royal" designations, while LFC officially regains the "Army" designation.
I had no idea that I had such a strong influence on government policy. The announcement of the return to the historic titles occurs less than a week after I signed the on-line petition!

Bill A
Bill A

August 15th, 2011, 7:45 pm #4

Certainly an interesting development. A whole range of new material will have to be designed and authorized.
I have always thought that the rank stars should be replaced by a stylized Canadian maple leaf. (I think some police forces use maple leaves for rank. )

August 15th, 2011, 8:05 pm #5

This certainly leaves the door open to next bring back the 'Royal' designations for the Corps. I know in the case of the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, the corps was brought to nil strength by posting everyone over to the new Military Engineering Branch. The Corps was not disbanded, there is just no-one serving in it. I suspect that this is the same for the other corps.

I suspect there will be lots of new 'bling' coming on line for the badge collectors.

Also, will this see the return of Army Officers wearing stars and crowns?
The promise has been that this will have a minimal impact on budgets, so I suspect they will go slow on the component corps/branches. I think the Logistics Branch seems to work fine, as opposed to various corps of staff clerks, pay services, postal clerks, etc. especially given the branch serves all three services.

A minimal amount of new badges, in other words. Still a time of fiscal restraint.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

August 15th, 2011, 8:16 pm #6

Sure, when it comes to 'bling' and badges there will be moderation....and I was born yesterday.

August 16th, 2011, 2:12 pm #7

From the CBC:
Philippe Lagassé, an assistant professor of public and international affairs at the University of Ottawa, said the cost of the change would likely be minimal.

"It's changing the name of the branches," he said, noting that it is largely a symbolic shift that doesn't change any command or organizational structures.
I'm not sure what additional badges the Army would require. The tri-service "cornflake" costs about 25 cents and would probably be a victim, but only recruits wear that one. Otherwise, the LFC command badge can probably stay unchanged. I've seen the crest in use on document and pamphlets under the word ARMY for years, in fact, unofficially. CANADA flashes aren't changing. No Army units need to change their unit badges as a result of this. Can't see the reason for a lot of expense.

The air force never wear their hats anyway, so if they get a couple of new cap badges, I'd be gobsmacked to be able to tell the difference.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

August 16th, 2011, 2:53 pm #8

Certainly an interesting development. A whole range of new material will have to be designed and authorized.
I have always thought that the rank stars should be replaced by a stylized Canadian maple leaf. (I think some police forces use maple leaves for rank. )
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's Conservative government, stressing traditional ties to Queen Elizabeth and the monarchy, is reinstating the names Royal Canadian Air Force and Royal Canadian Navy after a gap of 43 years.
The Liberals removed the "royal" designation in 1968 when they amalgamated the branches of service and called the military the Canadian Forces.
General Walter Natynczyk, chief of the defense staff, announced the decision to bring back the word "royal" for the official names of the two branches of the military in a memo posted on Monday on the military discussion site Milnet.ca.
"The initiative to restore the historic names of Canada's three former services is aimed at restoring an important and recognizable part of Canada's military heritage," Natynczyk said.
"These were the services that fought and emerged victorious from the Second World War and Korea and contributed to the defense of Europe and North America from the early days of the Cold War. These were also the services that paved the way in terms of international peacekeeping missions."
Defense Minister Peter MacKay and other Conservative members of Parliament have scheduled what they describe as "significant" announcements on Canada's military history on Tuesday.
Queen Elizabeth is Canada's head of state, and a tour by Prince William and his wife Kate last month revived interest in the monarchy.
"I think Canadians in general are going to be quite pleased and quite happy to have a little piece of their history back," said Robert Finch, chairman of the Monarchist League of Canada.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

August 16th, 2011, 3:41 pm #9

The Citizen reported today on the front page 'RCAF, Royal Navy Called Back into Service'. Gotta love the press!

August 16th, 2011, 6:07 pm #10

From the CBC:
Philippe Lagassé, an assistant professor of public and international affairs at the University of Ottawa, said the cost of the change would likely be minimal.

"It's changing the name of the branches," he said, noting that it is largely a symbolic shift that doesn't change any command or organizational structures.
I'm not sure what additional badges the Army would require. The tri-service "cornflake" costs about 25 cents and would probably be a victim, but only recruits wear that one. Otherwise, the LFC command badge can probably stay unchanged. I've seen the crest in use on document and pamphlets under the word ARMY for years, in fact, unofficially. CANADA flashes aren't changing. No Army units need to change their unit badges as a result of this. Can't see the reason for a lot of expense.

The air force never wear their hats anyway, so if they get a couple of new cap badges, I'd be gobsmacked to be able to tell the difference.
General Mackenzie was on Rutherford today and he mentioned his hope that the new change be done with some sense of restraint in mind as well. Interestingly, while Rutherford wanted to talk about the "Royal" terminology and the monarchist connection, Mackenzie kind of headed off that discussion and said that the Forces themselves would have different interests, and he gave a pretty good summary of how the rank insignia in the Army and the rank titles in the air force had changed on unification. There would obviously be costs involved in changing to a distinctive "Army" rank insignia for the officers. I wonder if that isn't on the radar of someone already, but would be loathe to speculate.

Someone mentioned replacing the rank stars with maple leaves. We do use those for general officers. I think Clive once mentioned the star of the Order of Canada as appropriate:

A simplified version would probably look quite nice, along with the Crown. But that is - one expects, perhaps hopes - a ways off.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com