Highland hose

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Highland hose

April 22nd, 2009, 2:40 pm #1

Am I correct in assuming most WW2 khaki highland hose have the instep strap passing under the foot, and WW1 hose lack this woven strap?

RR

April 22nd, 2009, 2:46 pm #2

What strap are you referring to? I've never heard of such a thing.

Why would you need it in any event? The problem with hosetops is invariably in them creeping down while you are wearing them, not riding up.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

April 22nd, 2009, 4:11 pm #3

I have a pair of WW1 period khaki hose, there is an instep woven strap that passes under the arch of the foot.
One Forum Member here named Norm who is a WW2 48th Highlanders vet also talks about the instep strap on his hose in 1939. Granted I've seen most without, but just wanted to know if anyone knew a bit more about this pattern with the strap.

Perhapes only the khaki hose have this part.

I'm at work and cannot post a photo, but will do so tonight.

Cheers

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 25th, 2009, 11:45 pm #4

Here are a couple of images of WWII Canadian manufactured Hosetops, I doubt that the WWI version was much different. This pair is marked with a white 'C Broad Arrow'.

May 6th, 2009, 3:20 am #5

Hey Ed

Here is a photo of the khaki hose I was talking about with the instep strap
They came to me when I got bought a WW1 tunic, kilt helmet and hat. I don;t think they were original to the grouping but wonder if they are first world war period. They are a bit moth ridden.

Thanks
Roger

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

May 6th, 2009, 2:06 pm #6

They are of a design I have not seen before, but you never know, so I would not dismiss them outright as they could very well be of the period.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

May 6th, 2009, 2:28 pm #7

Never seen anything like that in our museum, either. I shall check with the curator and see if he's ever laid eyes on a pair. I still don't see why you would want insteps on them. Aside from being uncomfortable, the tendency on hose is to ride down anyway - I suppose, though, if these are intended for "field dress" it might make some modicum of sense to keep the hose in place rather than have dirt pouring in over the lip of the ankle boot and under the hose should it be caught on something during fieldcraft (the retaining strap in that circumstance might make sense), but of course, that was what the puttees were for...

May 6th, 2009, 5:07 pm #8

I thought you guys would find them interesting
I too have never seen a pair like this. I remember these things
creeping downwards to my ankles as a Black watch cadet.

It's odd that you'd need a pair of garter flashes to keep them up, and a strap under the arch to keep them down, how Ironic.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

May 6th, 2009, 10:23 pm #9

One should remember that many items of soldiers kit in WW1 and 2 were made by volunteers from government-supplied patterns through the Red Cross, regimental and many other organizations.
Its possible that the strap could have been added at the request of a soldier or a unit.

DT.