High res photos of Canadian soldiers overseas WW2

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

High res photos of Canadian soldiers overseas WW2

March 23rd, 2009, 11:49 pm #1

Check out these amazing photos I came accross
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photosnorm ... 001620413/

March 23rd, 2009, 11:51 pm #2

March 23rd, 2009, 11:52 pm #3

All you have to do is clock on the plus symbol on the top left hand of the photo, then click the blue text ORIGINAL SIZE to see it full size

March 24th, 2009, 5:37 am #4

Some of those I have not seen before, and will make a great addition to a project I am currently working on - many thanks for these. They also appear to be from public domain holdings, which is a bonus.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

March 24th, 2009, 5:04 pm #5

No problem Mike

I will post the other links to other great war photos posted from this user.

The high quality is mind blowing

March 25th, 2009, 12:43 am #6

All you have to do is clock on the plus symbol on the top left hand of the photo, then click the blue text ORIGINAL SIZE to see it full size
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photosnormandie/

Here is the main section of all these wonderful photo's.
I've no idea how he/she got them so high res. The collection he has posted looks as if it's well over 2000 images. Some of the best I've ever seen with a large variety.

Many of these photo's I've seen before in publication but never at this level of high quality imaging

I have to assume this person has had access to the original negatives and managed to scan them all

For all those interested there are details of uniforms, vehicles, and so much more.
Sit down with a glass of wine or beer, and use the section on the site in the right hand corner that says SLIDESHOW you will then see all 2763 images. Once you see one you want to see closer, clicj the image..then click on the magnifying glass icon. Once you do this you will see blue text on the top of the photos that shows you four resolutions, choose ORIGINAL...it's crazy how much detail you can see.

Enjoy
Roger

March 25th, 2009, 12:49 am #7

PhotosNormandie is a collaborative project for social indexing.
We have uploaded 2763 photos about Battle of Normandy (D-Day June 6 to end August 1944).
All photos are available in high resolution and with IPTC/IIM fields embedded.
Photos source is Archives Normandie 1939-1945 web site (in French).
This was a project led by Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie (Regional Council of Basse-Normandie) in 2004, for the D-Day 60th anniversary.

About IPTC fields used
We are using IPTC/IIM metadata to describe images. If you do not know what are IPTC fields, you can take a look on Controlled Vocabulary web site.
We are using the following IPTC fields which are automatically mapped to Flickr fields when photo is uploaded:
- Object Name (#5) is the original photo reference as used in Archives Normandie 1939-1945 web site; it is mapped as Title, top of the image
- Caption (#120) is mapped as Description, bottom of the image
- Copyright (#116) filled with "Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie / National Archives USA" or "Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie / National Archives Canada" (see below); caution: this field is not displayed on Flickr.
- Keywords (#25), City (#90), Province/State (#95), Country (#101), all these fields are mapped as Tags, right of the image
Caution: only original size photos (click "All sizes" then "Original") have IPTC metadata embedded.

For now, descriptions are in French language and we are trying to improve them. So, we invite your comments to get better localisations, better identifications, check and verify information, etc.
Discussions about description improvements can be viewed in the group Discussions sur PhotosNormandie.
When new information or identification elements are available in the group Discussions sur PhotosNormandie, IPTC fields are updated and the photo with the new description is uploaded replacing the old one.

More...
Lo sbarco in Normandia on blog Idee in Bianco e Nero (in Italian)

See conditions of use in French on Archives Normandie 1939-1945 web site.
Photos are free of rights, but when you are using one, you must mention:
"Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie / National Archives USA"
or
"Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie / National Archives Canada"
according to IPTC Copyright information

I'm Male.

near Paris, France

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

April 1st, 2009, 9:08 pm #9

Another good photo site with 75 Canadian D-Day-related photos
http://www.6juin1944.com/album/juno/index.php