help please photo's

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

help please photo's

tracy
tracy

April 16th, 2010, 5:43 pm #1

hi
i have obtaind 4 albums full of photo's from a servicemans time in korea around early 1950's there are many names of the men i have no idea whether they were canadian or not i hope by someone looking at the pictures for me they will be able to help me track them down inside one of the albums is written 6 M.A.R.S. 153 7 M.A.R.S. - KIRIGUSHI 1st commonwealth division B.C.F.K. 1952-53 there is also a photo of a canadian armoured car and a canadian 35 PR also one labelled Globemaster which took us to Tokyo may 1953 and a photo of our camp at Tockchon there is also a photo of 5 guys standing alongside a sign which says No 7. Mobile Ammunition Repair Section RAOC some named are
Lofty Jackson - Ray Bennett - John Sully - Frank Dalimore - Taffy Mason
There aree many so i could not give them all but if i knew whether they were canadian that would be great any help very much appreciated or a note to say where i could find out information
tracy

Clive
Clive

April 19th, 2010, 3:45 am #2

Knowing where you are would help. E-mail me at clive@servicepub.com

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

April 19th, 2010, 4:35 am #3

Tracy, it looks already as if there are st least some Englishmen involved in those photos. RAOC is Royal Army Odnance Corps (not Canadian) and you have given two extremely typical nicknames of Englishmen that never got used much in Canada. Lofty is a nickname for somebody really tall and of course, many of the short guys got it too. Taffy is the typical nickname for a Welshman so it looks like England so far. Still, your photographer may have just been visiting those fellows.

Good luck with the search though.

KG

tracy
tracy

April 19th, 2010, 6:14 pm #4

thanks KG for your reply i am more than happy to send email copies of the pictures to you the gentleman who took the photos was a serviceman there are pictures of him in uniform his name is J Merritt i will give some more details from photos that may help "at work on 20 PRS" there is a picture of a jeep in a ditch which has been titled "what not to do with a jeep S'SGT dickson did it" another titled "our 5.5's at Tockchon, Korea" titled "Capt Pain M.B.E." photo's of 11 inf wksps reme sgt's mess another which is the last in one of the albums shows soliders which is titled 8 F.A.S.D. xmas day 1953 and so we cross over the bridge halfway home 18 months to go another "the boys 6 MARS Tockchon" another titled Joe Bulman J RBD Japan xmas 1952" thankyou for your time

Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson

April 20th, 2010, 2:33 am #5

hi
i have obtaind 4 albums full of photo's from a servicemans time in korea around early 1950's there are many names of the men i have no idea whether they were canadian or not i hope by someone looking at the pictures for me they will be able to help me track them down inside one of the albums is written 6 M.A.R.S. 153 7 M.A.R.S. - KIRIGUSHI 1st commonwealth division B.C.F.K. 1952-53 there is also a photo of a canadian armoured car and a canadian 35 PR also one labelled Globemaster which took us to Tokyo may 1953 and a photo of our camp at Tockchon there is also a photo of 5 guys standing alongside a sign which says No 7. Mobile Ammunition Repair Section RAOC some named are
There aree many so i could not give them all but if i knew whether they were canadian that would be great any help very much appreciated or a note to say where i could find out information
tracy
Were British troops ferried by the USAF in C-124s? I can see Canadian troops, possibly.

The reference to 5.5 howitzers is ambiguous. I don't think the R.C.A. used them in Korea, but R.A units attachedto the Commonwealth Division certainly would have. Perhaps the best bet is the nationality of the officer with the M.B.E.

Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson

April 20th, 2010, 2:39 am #6

A T/Capt.George Alfred David Paine, Royal Artillery, was awarded the MBE in 1945 for Italy.

Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson

April 20th, 2010, 2:43 am #7

Were British troops ferried by the USAF in C-124s? I can see Canadian troops, possibly.

The reference to 5.5 howitzers is ambiguous. I don't think the R.C.A. used them in Korea, but R.A units attachedto the Commonwealth Division certainly would have. Perhaps the best bet is the nationality of the officer with the M.B.E.
There was also a WO Jimmy Payne R.A. who won the MBE in Egypt/Libya, and might have been commissioned.

Fred Jackson
Fred Jackson

March 23rd, 2012, 1:53 pm #8

hi
tracy
Hello Tracy
I have today just found your entry on the web regarding various names and places in Korea and Japan which I knew very well from my two years military service in those two countries. I was in the RAOC (Royal Army Ordnance Corps). Having served a few months in Wales at the Explosive Disposal Unit there, I was posted to Korea, but on arrival at Kure in Japan, I was sent to Kirigushi where I worked on amunition examination and repair for 5 or 6 months.

Then I was posted to 6 MARS (Mobile Amunition Repair Section)based at Tockchon in Korea. Tockchon is at the northern most limit of the Railway line up from Pusan via Seoul. I have photographs of me in Korea, my favourite one being of me sitting on a stack of 4.2 inch mortar bombs having a quiet smoke before I blew up the lot. I still have a copy of that photo and could send you one if you wish.

I gather that you are Canadian. There certainly were a number of Canadian soldiers in Korea while I was there, if fact some of those Canadian soldiers guarded our amunition depots during the night, while we slept. Actually we had far more Australian soldiers on overnight duty guarding the amunition depots.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

March 23rd, 2012, 3:14 pm #9

Thanks to all for their help and the interesting discussion. Feel free to add to this thread - I realize the original question was a couple of years ago but I am always of the mind that even if the original correspondent does not return, there may well be others able to access this information and find it of use or interest.