Help me out here.

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Help me out here.

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

March 21st, 2007, 3:00 am #1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0094197003

Could somebody please alert Mr. Thompson that I am selling a medal that rightly belongs in the War Museum. I want to see it go over $1,000,000.

Kind regards,

KG

March 21st, 2007, 3:16 am #2

You're a rascal. :p
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Bill Alexander
Bill Alexander

March 21st, 2007, 10:17 am #3

Mr. Thomson is quite busy. He may be preoccupied with buying another Victory medal at exhorbidant prices, using other people's money.
http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/194292

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

March 21st, 2007, 12:24 pm #4

One small problem. His medals are in the Lorne scots museum along with his second war BD. Yes the medals on display are originals. If only I had the heart to contact Mr Thompson and tell him this, NOT

March 21st, 2007, 1:21 pm #5

After the auction. After you tell the press...
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

March 21st, 2007, 5:00 pm #6

One small problem. His medals are in the Lorne scots museum along with his second war BD. Yes the medals on display are originals. If only I had the heart to contact Mr Thompson and tell him this, NOT
That is truly hilarious. Get a bee in your bonnet and spend like heck without doing the first bit of research. Like my former business partners Mum used to say, "Stupidity punishes itself."

Joe Costello
Joe Costello

March 21st, 2007, 11:22 pm #7

I'm not a medal enthusiast so forgive me if it's obvious but is there something about the medal shown on the auction site (http://www.classicauctions.net/cgi-bin/ ... number=240) that indicates a fake?

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

March 22nd, 2007, 12:47 am #8

Below is an email I sent. Wonder what will happen now.

I wish to advise you that somebody is pulling a hoax over you for this medal. The original medals are in the possession of the Lorne Scots Regimental Museum in Brampton Ontario as Con Smythe was the Honourary Colonel at one time and I can assure you that they have never been nor are they for sale. If you doubt this please contact the former honourary colonel Lt/Col Ted Conover via the museum. Please note I have nothing to gain from sending you this email, just letting you know for when you get sued by the end buyer for selling fraudulent items

Andrew Upton
Andrew Upton

March 22nd, 2007, 1:25 am #9

"Below is an email I sent. Wonder what will happen now.

I wish to advise you that somebody is pulling a hoax over you for this medal. The original medals are in the possession of the Lorne Scots Regimental Museum in Brampton Ontario as Con Smythe was the Honourary Colonel at one time and I can assure you that they have never been nor are they for sale. If you doubt this please contact the former honourary colonel Lt/Col Ted Conover via the museum. Please note I have nothing to gain from sending you this email, just letting you know for when you get sued by the end buyer for selling fraudulent items"

Actually, the medal might be perfectly genuine, merely wrongly attributed - I just searched the online MIC records of the National Archives, and found a MIC as follows:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... ltcount=31

"Description Medal card of Smythe, Charles Frank
Corps Regiment No Rank
Labour Corps Second Lieutenant

Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/18

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War
Piece Shadbolt E - Spratt C
Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection"

His Victory Medal would be named identically to that listed for sale, so perhaps it was his?

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

March 22nd, 2007, 3:20 am #10

Mr. Thomson is quite busy. He may be preoccupied with buying another Victory medal at exhorbidant prices, using other people's money.
http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/194292
Is it just me or does that naming look a little funky? I was under the impression that letter stamps were loaded in a mandrel and the medal was rolled over it with pressure or some such metheod. This one looks as if some are a little crooked, some struck harder than others and one period is really hammered in. It just doesn't look like typical medal impressing to me. Am I wrong?