Help Identifying Regiment

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Help Identifying Regiment

October 31st, 2009, 3:57 am #1

Attached is a picture of a relative of mine from norther Saskatchewan. We are trying to determine the regiment and where the photo was taken.
Back of photo says
S.A Johnson
Photographer
Rocester, Staff

October 31st, 2009, 3:17 pm #2

Without the actual picture, all I can say is that the Village of Rocester is in eastern Staffordshire. That was the location of the photographer who took the photo.

The more details you can provide the better the chance of finding out the remainder of what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Dan Martel.

bob ferguson
bob ferguson

November 2nd, 2009, 2:21 am #3

How do i upload the photo to this group.

bob ferguson
bob ferguson

November 2nd, 2009, 2:46 am #4

November 2nd, 2009, 10:19 pm #5

i have learned how to attach a photo, i am trying to identify this unit.

Don Stinson
Don Stinson

November 3rd, 2009, 1:12 am #6

I actually know one of these guys. He's third from the right, back row. He is Adolf Hitler, once leader of the German people. This photo is post war, moustache removed. The rest of the chaps (not to be mean) seem like fellows that Dad's Army might have rejected.

Seriously, it's a tremendously intriguing picture. Why do so few have war service ribbons? Mr. spectacles has a sleeve badge that looks like a naval Stores Assistant badge (or of that ilk).

They don't have shoulder titles, officer has one wide rank band?

I don't think it's wartime because of brass buttons in place of khaki. The breast badge is distinctly non-military looking but it reminds one of the observer corps lapel pin.

Bear in mind not every use of battledress was military. Even guests of HM Prisons wore ex-RAF battledress or whatever the pigeons called it.

No, this one is a real mystery and I hope somebody clears it up.

Dave King
Dave King

November 3rd, 2009, 1:58 am #7

This photo shows a group of Royal Observer Corps, including an officer.

The corps was founded in the 1920s, and didn't stand down until 1995. (One assumes they had sandwiches and a flask of tea).

I can't date the photo with any accuracy, but it certainly looks like it could be wartime: the only medal ribbons in view are Great War.

The variety of styles of wearing the beret is interesting, particularly "Old Bill" at front row left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Observer_Corps

November 3rd, 2009, 4:26 pm #8

That would make sense, they appear to be too old to be in the service. Photo is from a collection of my Aunt who corresponded with 100's of troops overseas during the war mainly from people from her town in Northern Saskatchewan. Will have to see if anyone volunteered for this duty and went over. Tks bob

Don Stinson
Don Stinson

November 3rd, 2009, 4:36 pm #9

Many people don't realize it was the Air Observers Corps that invented the 1,000 yard stare.

Being in the AOC likely explains why these chaps look like they only wore their uniforms 3 times a year. I am curious though to know what that arm device would be on Spectacles. Talk about your un-researched fields.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

November 3rd, 2009, 8:01 pm #10

Attached is a picture of a relative of mine from norther Saskatchewan. We are trying to determine the regiment and where the photo was taken.
Back of photo says
S.A Johnson
Photographer
Rocester, Staff
Sorry for not replying to your email; as you can see, the forum is the best means of getting good answers. Thanks to all for helping Bob with this mystery.