He Joined the CEF at age 70

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

He Joined the CEF at age 70

Dean Owen
Dean Owen

May 29th, 2003, 12:56 am #1

I came across this while researching " Black Confederates"

Heres one for the older set. George St. Pierre Brooks was born in Jan 1840 From 1861 until he was Captured in early 1865 he was a Body Servant to Capt. Scofield CSA, For the last 3 Months of the war he looked after the Horses of the 7th Ohio Cav (USA, the unit that captured him).
In 1865/66 He ran foot reaces in P.T. Barnums shows ( he ran 100 yards in 9 3/4 seconds.
He later joined the " Fisk Jubilee Singers" while there he there gave a Command Performance before Queen Victoria. After this he has assorted jobs until he moved to Manitoba. In 1917 he approached an Army recruiter (CEF) and stated his age as 75. He was told that if he would state he was 40 he would be accepted. He did so and became a cook and served in France.

In 1944 he bagan living at the Deer Lodge Military Hospital. In 1946 while visiting veterans Viscount Montgomery hailed Brooks as a "real Soldier"

Brooks died in 1948 and is Buried in Winnipegs Brookside Cemetery, of course in the Military section.

Does anyone know which unit he searved with in WW1?

Dean Owen
Whitby Ont.

Dean Owen
Dean Owen

May 29th, 2003, 3:25 am #2

NAC shows a George Semperius Brooks, 931360, a Negro cook born in Havana, enlisted June 1, 1916 in Winnipeg into 2nd Construction Battalion. He states he is 40 and served in the Spanish American War. 6 Foot 2 Inches, must have been quite a sight!

Thanks, Dean, that was very interesting. If only we had an HG Wells time machine to go back and interview him!

Peter in Vancouver

Ken Trinder
Ken Trinder

May 29th, 2003, 7:26 am #3

Alot of men raised their age during WWI and then lowered it when WWII came, in the Regiment I collect and research one soldier was sent home when his supply of black hair dye ran out, and another who declined to wear his 1914-18 war medals because the Queens South Africa ribbon was next to it, twins both 14 enlisted,
but sadly both were killed.
Thanks
Ken

Rob Dekker
Rob Dekker

May 29th, 2003, 1:48 pm #4

NAC shows a George Semperius Brooks, 931360, a Negro cook born in Havana, enlisted June 1, 1916 in Winnipeg into 2nd Construction Battalion. He states he is 40 and served in the Spanish American War. 6 Foot 2 Inches, must have been quite a sight!

Thanks, Dean, that was very interesting. If only we had an HG Wells time machine to go back and interview him!

Peter in Vancouver

Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson

May 30th, 2003, 4:18 am #5

That one takes the prize. I have seen a First War medal with a Second Afghan Medal (1878-1880) but as it was renamed, and there was no research that I saw I couldn't verify it.

From the medals I have had in my collection, the older men often ended up being invalided from France.

frances
frances

February 11th, 2012, 3:44 pm #6

Heres one for the older set. George St. Pierre Brooks was born in Jan 1840 From 1861 until he was Captured in early 1865 he was a Body Servant to Capt. Scofield CSA, For the last 3 Months of the war he looked after the Horses of the 7th Ohio Cav (USA, the unit that captured him).
In 1865/66 He ran foot reaces in P.T. Barnums shows ( he ran 100 yards in 9 3/4 seconds.
He later joined the " Fisk Jubilee Singers" while there he there gave a Command Performance before Queen Victoria. After this he has assorted jobs until he moved to Manitoba. In 1917 he approached an Army recruiter (CEF) and stated his age as 75. He was told that if he would state he was 40 he would be accepted. He did so and became a cook and served in France.

In 1944 he bagan living at the Deer Lodge Military Hospital. In 1946 while visiting veterans Viscount Montgomery hailed Brooks as a "real Soldier"

Brooks died in 1948 and is Buried in Winnipegs Brookside Cemetery, of course in the Military section.

Dean Owen
Whitby Ont.
what does NAC stand for?

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

February 12th, 2012, 1:29 am #7

NAC=National Archives of Canada

They are today known IIRC as Library and Archives of Canada (LAC)

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 13th, 2012, 10:10 pm #8

MY Gods..if the CBC found out about this guy...it would be realy bad TV series about his loves and his lost loves...I have more info on him..and I think his story Should be told... Maybe sometime in the future..Funny this thread has come back to the living as it is somewhat older.
Dean

Johnnieboy
Johnnieboy

March 9th, 2012, 8:21 pm #9

Dean Owen
Whitby Ont.
the dental corps it appears.

check it out:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/obj/ ... 105-10.pdf