Hasting & Prince edwards Regt Captain BD Jacket

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Hasting & Prince edwards Regt Captain BD Jacket

Nicolas
Nicolas

June 1st, 2011, 11:17 am #1

Hi all

I could have the opportunity to acquire this jacket said to be "with original laid insignas"

What's your opinion on it ? what would it be worth ?

/
/
/

Thanks

June 1st, 2011, 3:29 pm #2

Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 1st, 2011, 4:51 pm #3

Besides the two images, what other information do you have?

Nicolas
Nicolas

June 1st, 2011, 6:13 pm #4

I have tried to post 3 images on my first message

Out of it, the seller is not on this field of collection so he can't provide anything more

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 1st, 2011, 7:15 pm #5

Okay, so what questions should you as the potential purchaser want to ask of the person who is selling this Tunic? In other words, what things do you need to know in order to figure out if you want to buy the tunic and how much it is worth to you?

Nicolas
Nicolas

June 1st, 2011, 7:39 pm #6

Mainly my questions were :

- on the sewning of the insignas (but the pics are not displayed so it's hard to tell) looks like to be originals

- then the value of such a jacket ? (being offered for 419 Can $)

Thanks

June 1st, 2011, 8:21 pm #7

The jacket is worth what anyone is willing to pay for it. It's trite, but in the end, it's true. If you have a relative who was a captain in the Hasty P's - or if your uncle's name is in the BD - you'll pay more.

IF this BD is authentic, I would say it looks to be in good shape and would make a fine addition to any collection.

I don't see any evidence or, or against, the notion it is real/fake. I think basically you take your chances at this point.

I think you were using the wrong URL which is why the images weren't loading originally - I'm at work so don't have too much time to fool with it, but it looked like you were trying to post a "nested" URL rather than the actual location of the image itself.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

June 1st, 2011, 9:37 pm #8

Mainly my questions were :

- on the sewning of the insignas (but the pics are not displayed so it's hard to tell) looks like to be originals

- then the value of such a jacket ? (being offered for 419 Can $)

Thanks
Each BD jacket had stamped information on the inside of the jacket including breast size, height range, manufacturer. Ask the vendor for this info to learn when the jacket was made. It would also have the quality control stamp - the C-broad arrow stamp. Given the alleged period of the jacket, the stamp may not be totally legible.

DT.

Bill A
Bill A

June 1st, 2011, 10:27 pm #9

The images are not very useful. An arm view is needed, and a close up of the formation patches, shoulder titles and rank insignia. And, an image of the maker / size stamp.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 2nd, 2011, 3:12 am #10

Hi all

I could have the opportunity to acquire this jacket said to be "with original laid insignas"

What's your opinion on it ? what would it be worth ?

/
/
/

Thanks
Not to sound mean here, but this forum is basically doing all the work for you, perhaps we should just all pool our money and outright buy the tunic for you.

As you will see from the replies that have kindly been provided by various forum members, the questions YOU should be asking of the vendor are:

history of the tunic, ie, who had it;
when was it made (an image of the manufacture's stamp); and
better views of the insignia.

These are just starter questions, then there are the unique details of the tunic and the insignia in which YOU need to analize in order for YOU to decide it you want to spend your money on this item.

As it is, right now some person is asking you to fork over 400+ dollars for something you seem to have no idea what you are buying or what you should be looking for in order to make an informed decision on the purchase. Does that not worry you? It is all well and good that you are interested in collecting this sort of material, but if your plan is just to keep finding things and then asking the forum if the material is worth buying, well, you might want to re-evaluate you collecting model.

Ask the questions of the vendor and tell us what you have learned.