GS badge

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

GS badge

Chris Purcell
Chris Purcell

September 23rd, 2007, 2:31 pm #1

would it be possible, mind you anything is possible, to wear the GS badge on the sleeve, as well as the CVSM ribbon.

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

September 23rd, 2007, 3:05 pm #2

Absolutely!.....It happened all the time...there would be no maple leaf on the ribbon though when worn with this badge as the GS badge was only worn by domestic formations here in Canada.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

September 23rd, 2007, 4:48 pm #3

would it be possible, mind you anything is possible, to wear the GS badge on the sleeve, as well as the CVSM ribbon.
The regs stated that the GS badge was to be removed once the CVSM was issued or if on an overseas draft, once the ship had set sail for England or other destination. The
GS badge was to be turned into the unit QM or Ship's Conducting staff QM Stores for re-issue

Among the Cdn Womens Army Corps, the GS badge was worn with the CVSM and clasp and no one in authority seemed to get upset. The CWAC were automatically issued the GS on enrollment because they enrolled for the duration of the war plus one year; the one year being stipulated because the CWAC clerks would be the ones processing the demobbed soldiers.

After VE Day, some 800 CWAC members were sent to Holland and Germany to process the troops. As well they worked in the auxiliary services running canteens and donut shops, cheerleaders for sports days, etc.

DT.

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

September 26th, 2007, 7:09 pm #4

No doubt that that is the case with regs however there is plenty of photos around showing the two were worn in conjunction despite Regs.I,ve seen quite a few BD jackets with this combo as well...I guess more than just the CWAC must have tolerated it.Here is a shot taken at the Motor mecahnics school here in London Ontario.
[/IMG]

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

September 26th, 2007, 11:50 pm #5

I dont see any GS badges. Perhap a blow-up is necessary for these senior eyes of mine.

DT.

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

September 27th, 2007, 2:22 am #6

....But all these guys have both the GS badge and their CVSM ribbons.Will try to blow up on their jackets...cheers,Mike.

Micahel Reintjes
Micahel Reintjes

September 28th, 2007, 4:24 am #7

...If nothing else I,m becoming more proficient with this new scanner...here's some better Resolution photos...I hope?....More than 10 Regiments and corps are in this photo and although you can't see the sleeves of the rear ranks just about every visible sleeve in the front rank have the GS badge present and most if not all have the CVSM ribbon with no leaf...neat shot of the Oxford Rifles guy!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

September 28th, 2007, 3:29 pm #8

Many thanks. So much for regulations!!

DT.