Good Story!

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Good Story!

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

December 1st, 2009, 1:43 am #1

I like a good story, this was printed in the Ottawa Citizen today. Anyone see the problem with this one?

Joe Costello
Joe Costello

December 1st, 2009, 2:49 am #2

What might you be referring to? The fact that there is only one PPCLI related record in the CWGC's database of 198 military graves in that cemetery or the fact that the PPCLI were in Italy in June 1944?

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

December 1st, 2009, 3:33 am #3

Or how about that there were no fatal PPCLI casualties on 6 June, 1944.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

December 1st, 2009, 3:39 am #4

That the only PPCLI grave in Calgary Burnside is from 1947. Or that the remains of fatal casualties were not repatriated back to Canada during the Second World War.

But is does make for a great story...

Joe Costello
Joe Costello

December 1st, 2009, 4:37 am #5

As you are now a keeper of military history for your day job (can you even call it that?) it's good that you recognize a good story when you read it!!!

December 1st, 2009, 1:51 pm #6

I like a good story, this was printed in the Ottawa Citizen today. Anyone see the problem with this one?

If you need a reason to take a day off of work, I guess telling your boss you had an epiphany about D-Day on June 6th is a pretty good one. It must have been pre-Internet, so you just knew the boss couldn't double-check when you told him "you should have seen it - we just suddenly realized all these ... uh ... quickwhatsthelocalregimentsname ... Patricias ... died on the same day ... we were overcome ... "
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

December 1st, 2009, 3:04 pm #7

Not to make a joke of fallen comrades, but did no one come across the follow-up story about how the PPCLI were on a special mission on D-Day and that because of the security concerns all traces of their involvement on 6 June 1944 have never been published or acknowledged, even going so far as to repatriate their fatal casualties back to Canada ... it just never ceases to amaze me when I read newspaper stories and realize the total lack of research that the writer has put into his story ... there is one in the local paper here today on the Canadians in the Italian campaign ... I didnt know that we had "INFANTRY ENGINEERS" during the campaign ... although the veteran pictured was wearing the cap badge of the Royal Canadian Engineers ... actually, come to think of it, I did read at one time that The RCR landed across JUNO beach on 6 June 1944 ... must have been the reserve force for the Patricia's of Ed's story ...

Cheers

Mark

Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson

December 1st, 2009, 5:25 pm #8

It's like the renaming of Toronto Island Airport to honour Billy Bishop. According to one news site Billy Bishop used to fly out of it in the Second World War, and that Bishop was a noted Canadian military historian. I doubt the RCAF let Bishop fly anyhting, and it is Arthur Bishop, his son, who is the historian.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

December 1st, 2009, 6:26 pm #9

I am hoping to come across those secret documents at the LAC. They will prove without a doubt that the PPCLI, reinforced by the RCR, landed in a secret assault wave on June 6.

This connects with the post about "Canadians under fire". You really have to be careful when "newspaper journalists" start writing history. It is strange that such well known historians use the work of journalists to bolster their "facts". Is it not the job of the historian to make sure the sources facts are straight? I was always under the impression that newspapers are a good source for a personal quote or a story but not necessarily historical facts. I still can't figure out why the author of non-fiction is usually scrutinized by his or her source information yet newspaper journalists never have to disclose their sources in print?

December 1st, 2009, 7:59 pm #10

Hi Ken;

I hate to disappoint you, but you can stop looking for those secret documents at the LAC. Many years ago while doing some research on the subject at LAC, the caretaker told me that those files were burned at CMHQ upon being ordered by Army Headquarters (Ottawa) to destroy any trace of the involvement of the PPCLI and The RCR in the 6 June 1944 landings at JUNO. Apparently, even those Patricia's and RCR's who survived the action were sworn to a lifetime of secrecy ...

Cheers

Mark