General Crerars driver

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

General Crerars driver

December 12th, 2010, 10:16 pm #1

Hi there

Anybody know the name of the young Highlander who was Crerar's driver? Apparently the general like to drive himself so the young man did a lot of navigating.

Steve

Clive Law
Clive Law

December 12th, 2010, 11:40 pm #2

The first image shows a Black Watch officer while the later photo shows another officer, also 2 Div. Can't help with a name but thought that you may enjoy the photos.

December 13th, 2010, 2:17 am #3

Hi there

Anybody know the name of the young Highlander who was Crerar's driver? Apparently the general like to drive himself so the young man did a lot of navigating.

Steve
I thought the TIME article in the autumn of 1944 mentioned him by name; if I can find my copy I'll post it. If I recall correctly it was a Scottish surname.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

December 13th, 2010, 4:39 am #4

It's not in the article, and I looked through Granatstein's chapter on him in THE GENERALS. For some reason, I seem to recall the name Bombardier McDonald as having worked for him, possibly as his batman.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

December 13th, 2010, 1:58 pm #5

According to a war-time newspaper clipping that I have (sorry I just have the clipping) the name of the General's batman was, in 1945 a Cpl. T.McDonald from Kingston.The caption with the photograph also mentions that has been the General's batman for the last four years and shows him sewing an additional "pip"on the chief's uniform which marks him as full general after his recent promotion from Lieutenat-General.
Jo

December 15th, 2010, 9:39 pm #6

It's not in the article, and I looked through Granatstein's chapter on him in THE GENERALS. For some reason, I seem to recall the name Bombardier McDonald as having worked for him, possibly as his batman.
FWIW ... in the days when officers had batmen, within a battalion, the (LCol) CO's batman was usually a corporal who often doubled as his driver (The CO would have a staff car in garrison, and a jeep in the field) while the rest of the officers in the battalion respectively had privates for a batman, so it's highly unlikely that a general would have had a private or bombardier for a batman unless, of course, he had more than one. Also unlikely.