Gas mask canister

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Gas mask canister

John Mullen
John Mullen

March 7th, 2008, 11:08 pm #1

Hello
Can any of the members tell me where I might be able to obtain a WW2 era British/ Canadian (red) canister for the service gas mask. I need one to finish a gas mask set up. Please let me know.

Many thanks
John

Andrew Upton
Andrew Upton

March 8th, 2008, 1:32 am #2

I have an excellent 1942 filter for sale at the moment, plus a few other gas mask bits, drop me an email and I'll sort out some more details and pictures.

John Mullen
John Mullen

March 8th, 2008, 1:20 pm #3

Hello
Many thanks for the prompt reply to my inquiry about the gas mask canister. Can you please supply me with the details and a picture if possible.Also what other parts do you have lying about. Please let me know.

Many thanks
John

Andrew Upton
Andrew Upton

March 9th, 2008, 2:00 am #4

Just sent two emails, one with a few more details and one with lots of pictures attached, if one or both fail to arrive let me know and I'll try to resend.

Keith Matthews
Keith Matthews

March 10th, 2008, 9:20 am #5

Gents, please be careful dismantling, cleaning and renovating original gasmasks. It is not known for sure, given pre war/wartime manufacturing conditions, but there is a strong chance that asbestos containing materials may be present in various types of respirators/gas masks.

Potential materials include the insulating material - especially tapes, gaskets, paints and filters. Damage could result in asbestos fibres migrating to other parts of the mask. It only takes one fibre, to cause serious long term health risks. the only good news is that it is likely to be white asbestos rather than the riskier types.

General advice in UK museums is never to breath through a pre 1980 respirator and to wear breathing aparatus if dismantling (ironic huh!).

Good luck with the project

Keith Matthews

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

March 10th, 2008, 9:33 am #6

Never breath through a pre-1980 Respirator eh? A lot of good that is to know now, I joined the Army in 1978....

John Mullen
John Mullen

March 12th, 2008, 12:41 pm #7

Hello
Many thanks for your useful information on the safety issues pertaining to the gas mask filters. I appreciate your concern.

Regards
John