Gaiters

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Gaiters

Jeremy
Jeremy

July 30th, 2009, 6:03 pm #1

Does anyone have any information on these gaiters and what they were used for? I have no idea, but one suggestion was for a use on a horses leg.

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

July 30th, 2009, 6:27 pm #2

I believe that these are RN/RCN issue.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 30th, 2009, 7:24 pm #3

I can confirm that the anklets are indeed for naval use, here is an image from a WWII Naval Drill Manual showing them in use.

jeremy
jeremy

July 30th, 2009, 8:11 pm #4

Does anyone have any information on these gaiters and what they were used for? I have no idea, but one suggestion was for a use on a horses leg.

Thanks for the info on the gaiters guys

Bill A
Bill A

July 31st, 2009, 12:32 am #5

Why the need for a different pattern?

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 31st, 2009, 1:10 pm #6

Just like web equipment, all three services had their own distinct pattern of anklet and gaitor.

Geoff
Geoff

July 31st, 2009, 5:45 pm #7

Thanks to all for their posts. I have a set of these too and had no idea what they were for.

Geoff

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 31st, 2009, 6:56 pm #8

Never assume that every piece of tan webbing is 1937 Pattern or for Army use.

John Mullen
John Mullen

July 31st, 2009, 9:17 pm #9

Hello
I was under the impression these were used by dispatch riders. I have several sets of these.

John

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

August 1st, 2009, 1:06 am #10

But you would have to ask yourself, why would DRs need them if already Pantaloons and high-top DR Boots are available for motocycle wear?