G.Ursual Deceased

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

G.Ursual Deceased

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

June 10th, 2008, 2:46 pm #1

Jaime of Marway has announced the passing, this morning, of Gene Ursual .

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

June 10th, 2008, 2:51 pm #2

This is a shame. Very nice man who really knew what he was doing. Always had time to tell you about something that you had purchased.

David Tremain
David Tremain

June 10th, 2008, 5:00 pm #3

Here's the posting from the British Badge Forum:

We were just informed that our dear friend and fellow collector, Eugene Ursual, passed away in the early hours of this morning, after a short battle with cancer. Funeral arrangements have not been determined as yet, you can check the Ottawa Citizen online tomorrow for details.

For those with current dealings with Tanya please be a bit patient, she will continue with the business but I'm sure there will be a slow down for the next week or so.

Jaime
Last edited by dorosh on June 10th, 2008, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2008, 6:49 pm #4

Clifford S. Weirmeir
Clifford S. Weirmeir

June 11th, 2008, 12:36 am #5

I saw Jamie's post at British Badges Forum. I informed them at MCF of Eugene's passing. I am still at a loss for words. It's Gene's fault I got hooked on Badges and medals. Truly one of the best guys I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. My sympathies to Tanya, and to Eugene's son Michael.

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

June 11th, 2008, 2:12 am #6

I first met Eugene over 25 years ago when he and Don Tresham shared digs at a little store in the market. Although never friends we were always friendly. Eugene (and Tonya) were early supporters of my publishing efforts and Eugene could always be counted on to place an ad in my Directory & Sourcebook.
When Distinguishing Patches was published he took on regular quantities for re-sale through his catalogue. Other than the Ottawa Militaria show I seldom ran across him. The exception was last fall when three of us travelled to his home. There, he was a gracious host and allowed us full reign. It was like being let free in the back rooms of the CWM (I did that also, about 35 years ago).
Eugene was of a generation. He will be remembered along with others of his stature such as Ed Denby. There are few others like him in the business (although a certain dealer in Winnipeg certainly qualifies). His honesty and integrity will be sorely missed and, at the end of the day, I regret not having known Eugene well enough to call him a friend.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 11th, 2008, 8:46 pm #7

Here is the obituary as was published in today's Ottawa Citizen.

[/IMG]

Rob Low
Rob Low

June 12th, 2008, 5:37 pm #8

It is a real shame to loose a member of this quality. Gene new his stuff and what he was doing. A legend in the Militaria Community. He will be missed by all.

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

June 12th, 2008, 6:05 pm #9

I first met Eugene over 25 years ago when he and Don Tresham shared digs at a little store in the market. Although never friends we were always friendly. Eugene (and Tonya) were early supporters of my publishing efforts and Eugene could always be counted on to place an ad in my Directory & Sourcebook.
When Distinguishing Patches was published he took on regular quantities for re-sale through his catalogue. Other than the Ottawa Militaria show I seldom ran across him. The exception was last fall when three of us travelled to his home. There, he was a gracious host and allowed us full reign. It was like being let free in the back rooms of the CWM (I did that also, about 35 years ago).
Eugene was of a generation. He will be remembered along with others of his stature such as Ed Denby. There are few others like him in the business (although a certain dealer in Winnipeg certainly qualifies). His honesty and integrity will be sorely missed and, at the end of the day, I regret not having known Eugene well enough to call him a friend.
When I first started colleting (over 20 years ago now) I used to love going to his shop in Billing Bridge. He was always very pleasant to me, even though I was young and didn't have a lot of money to spend.

Fast forward a number of years later to one of the Ottawa shows. I had just completed a trade deal that included a nice cased DFC. I went to Eugene to show him the medal and he proptly informed me that it was a reproduction. He also took the time to explain why it was not a good one. Because of his help, I was able to return it, as the collector that traded me the piece took Eugene's word as gospel. He was always willing to help out a fellow collector.

RIP Eugene...and thank you.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

June 12th, 2008, 8:21 pm #10

There is no real "hall of fame" for outstanding members of various hobby communities. I wonder if there isn't anything in print that might support a Wikipedia article about the fellow (IAW their rules on notability?)

Perhaps a commemorative issue of MILITARY ARTIFACT might be in order, if there were enough stories about Mr. Ursual to share?

Not that I'd want to make work for my publisher or anything. I guess the hard part is to not look crass while financing such a venture. Just a suggestion. I never knew him but I certainly saw his auctions on ebay and was impressed by the photographs and range of the items offered, as well as the descriptions.