For Clive M. Law- Militia Districts

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

For Clive M. Law- Militia Districts

March 19th, 2007, 10:01 pm #1

Hello Clive,

I took a copy of your 'Regimental Numbers of the Canadian Army' on loan from CWM library last week and have a question regarding the terminology "Militia District' that you have used in that book.

I have seen references in web postings, 'semi-official' documents, other forums etc, that use the term 'Military District' to identify those regions of Canada during both World Wars.

Are you aware of the term 'Military District' ever being used 'officially' to describe the M.D.'s ?

Cheers, Ken
Ottawa

March 20th, 2007, 1:32 am #2

Militia Districts were not formed until the 1960s, I think, and were replaced by the current Reserve Brigades in 1997. For example, I did my basic training with Southern Alberta Militia District Battle School.

"Military District" was the correct term for the organization used in the first half of the 20th Century, AIUI.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

March 23rd, 2007, 3:07 am #3

Hello Clive,

I took a copy of your 'Regimental Numbers of the Canadian Army' on loan from CWM library last week and have a question regarding the terminology "Militia District' that you have used in that book.

I have seen references in web postings, 'semi-official' documents, other forums etc, that use the term 'Military District' to identify those regions of Canada during both World Wars.

Are you aware of the term 'Military District' ever being used 'officially' to describe the M.D.'s ?

Cheers, Ken
Ottawa
Looks like I mad a boo-boo. This will be re-printed shortly and I will correct the terminology.

Clive