First Canadians Troops in Cyprus 1964.

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

First Canadians Troops in Cyprus 1964.

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

August 6th, 2011, 4:52 pm #1

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

August 6th, 2011, 8:21 pm #2

Recce unit from the Royal Canadian Dragoons.

DT.

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

August 7th, 2011, 12:17 am #3

You're right Doug, I should have paid more attention to the shoulder titles.
Thanks
Jo

Jay Bickerton
Jay Bickerton

August 7th, 2011, 4:57 am #4

First 3 and last 2 pics are Vandoos.

Jay Bickerton
Jay Bickerton

August 7th, 2011, 4:59 am #5

Sorry, neglected to read entire first post before looking at pics.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

August 7th, 2011, 3:22 pm #6

These pics are a real find on many levels - dress, weapons, casualness of the weapons laying around, etc. Lets hope Mike Dorosh puts them on his site.

DT.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

August 7th, 2011, 3:48 pm #7

Click on "Back to Image Details" at the lower left corner of the photos and it takes you to many more pics of the conflict. What a treasure of info!!

DT.

August 7th, 2011, 9:40 pm #8

Great photos. Thanks for posting them. I've noticed some things and have a few comments to share and several questions that perhaps someone here can answer.

All of the OR's are wearing FSOD shirts with their BD. When I joined Army Cadets back in the days of Battledress, officer shirts were the norm for all ranks; militia and cadets. I think the change came after the 1967 announcement of the new green uniform. I believe it was open game to use up as much of the stored BD as possible before the change and, as officer's shirts were probably more expensive (and nicer quality), it was apparently more cost effective to use up those stocks before they became obsolete. (My guess.)

The puttees look thicker and rougher than anything I ever saw or wore.

In the second photo there is a parka on the cot. Photos of the departing VanDoos show them wearing parkas and BD with blue berets as they boarded the aircraft at Ancienne Lorette. I think these photos were taken the day the troops flew into Cyprus.

In the third photo the soldier on the left (with his hands covering the muzzle) is wearing the Leading Infantryman badge on his right forearm. I recall that earning this meant something back in the day.

In the two photos showing the RCD, what is the crew commander wearing? It looks like a sweater with BD epaulettes (note the two brassards) and what look like BD blouse pockets sewn on to the front, worn over an FSOD shirt with a non-regimental ascot. The remainder are wearing overalls. Is the crew commander a rich OR or an officer without his rank on?

In photo 6 there is an empty Carling can on the ground. (Red Cap or Black Label?)

Finally, how many years service did each reversed chevron on the left sleeve of the BD signify on a Private / Lance-Corporal's uniform?

Cheers,
Dan.

August 7th, 2011, 10:36 pm #9

Dan, I don't think those are "years service stripes". The upside down chevrons in my time were a good conduct badge. (I never got one)
Also noted a marksmanship badge on one of the lower sleeves. And, yeah, the Infantry badge but without the wreath.
Where do you get "officers' shirts"? In '64 officers did not receive "issue" shirts. If they were available on issue, it was a good secret. We purchased our shirts from the Regimental Kit Shop.
What you didn't mention is the sloppy manner in which the Van Doos are handling their weapons. The C1 Pachette and the C1 FN - they're actually pointing the weapons at each other!
Must have been one of those posed photo ops, or maybe Van Doos do things differently ...