Film & Photo Explanation?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Film & Photo Explanation?

Bill Alexander
Bill Alexander

December 31st, 2006, 6:10 pm #1

Thanks for reminding me about the Archives searches. They are an excellent resource for collectors. While poking around I found this image:

Now, what is the story for the soldier with the USA patching?

Bill
Bill

December 31st, 2006, 6:12 pm #2

Capt. Harold D. Robinson / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-142578

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

December 31st, 2006, 7:48 pm #3

Thanks for reminding me about the Archives searches. They are an excellent resource for collectors. While poking around I found this image:

Now, what is the story for the soldier with the USA patching?
Just a yank in the Cdn Army is all.

December 31st, 2006, 8:18 pm #4

National identifiers, specifically "USA" were expressly forbidden for wear by the Canadaian Army.

Bill Alexander
Bill Alexander

December 31st, 2006, 8:32 pm #5

Ken, I was aware of Clive's information regarding the use of nationality titles in the Canadian army. The use of the USA must have some other significance than simply being an American serving in the Canadian army. I suspect that he may have been attached or on loan or on some sort of official duty in the Canadian army. Hoping to find the official explanation.

Gordon Pringle
Gordon Pringle

December 31st, 2006, 8:52 pm #6

That means something, but what?

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

December 31st, 2006, 11:46 pm #7

Just a yank in the Cdn Army is all.
Judging by his age, lack of beret insignia or any rank, I suspect that he may have been a US media representative working with Film and Photo or some sort of specialized US civilian occupation working with the unit.

Gordon Pringle
Gordon Pringle

January 1st, 2007, 12:25 am #8

I would be more suprised if he was not as Ed says a American citizen seconded (from where?) to this unit. Intersting.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

January 2nd, 2007, 4:29 pm #9

Well for one the CF&PU had no cap badge. Clive is correct, these National titles were not supposed to be worn. However it is 1945 and no one cared. I have seen correspondence within various units requesting that Americans who joined the Canaidan Army be allowed to wear the USA patch. In my own particular interest, Americans serving at the A-35 CPTC in Canada requested permission to wear a patch recognizing their being from the United States. As Clive pointed out, this was turned down. However, as we all know, in 1945 - when this picture was likely taken - rules were relaxed. I cannot see any other circumstance where an American serving in a unit of the Canadian Army, wearing a Canadian uniform and insignia in the UK can be explained ( maybe he was a spy? ). Remember the Canadian Film and Photo Unit was a promulgated unit of the Canadian Army. It was not a newspaper or correspondent group. If seconded or attached from the US Army because of a particular skill or as some sort of liaison, he would likely continue to wear his US uniform. Remember this shot was taken in England, not in the field, even if that makes a difference? In order to confirm who is correct here, you need his name and you need to find out the particulars of his service. Anyway that's my take on it without knowing who this is.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

January 2nd, 2007, 4:35 pm #10

BTW - It would be the same, if he was from a civilian capacity ie correspondent or representative of some other media group. They had their own uniforms when they were required. This guy is more than likely an American who joined and served with the unit. There were several Americans in the unit.

Ken