Fantasy piece

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Fantasy piece

Clive
Clive

February 28th, 2011, 3:37 pm #1

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CANADIAN-BLACK-WATCH ... 2eb3971854
Although Montreal's 5th Royal Scots wore the white Universal pattern helmet until they raised enough to buy feather bonnets, the Black Watch never wore a green Home Service helmet. The badge is a painted fantasy piece and the base for the spike is probably foreign. The helmet shell has some value but all of the furnishings would have to be replaced and an appropriate helmet plate acquired.

Bill A
Bill A

February 28th, 2011, 8:28 pm #2

Not sure where he got the Canadian attribution. The badge is the imperial pattern Black Watch, not the Canadian badge. Gotta love the previous owner's name...

March 1st, 2011, 6:15 am #3

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CANADIAN-BLACK-WATCH ... 2eb3971854
Although Montreal's 5th Royal Scots wore the white Universal pattern helmet until they raised enough to buy feather bonnets, the Black Watch never wore a green Home Service helmet. The badge is a painted fantasy piece and the base for the spike is probably foreign. The helmet shell has some value but all of the furnishings would have to be replaced and an appropriate helmet plate acquired.
You missed the best part:

He will not ship to "France or other Third World countries!!!"

Unless this was intentional, it's extremely funny.

Abner Picklewhite
Abner Picklewhite

March 5th, 2011, 5:57 am #4

I contacted this fellow just to let him know it was a bit of an odd piece and he swears his Dad, who was a medic that landed at Juno, was given it by his CO. No further explanation, nor did he say when. That may be why he thinks it's CDN. He wasn't terribly forthcoming with any information other than we didn't know what we are talking about and I should go bother somebody else.

He is correct in calling it extremely rare though. I've only seen one.

AB

David Tremain
David Tremain

March 8th, 2011, 4:44 pm #5

Ick! The whole thing looks nasty - like it's been painted with icing sugar. Should've left it on JUNO!

Clive M. Law - Service Publications

March 8th, 2011, 10:16 pm #6

I am the proud owner of this piece of s**t!
The helmet shell is of good quality and once shorn of the embellishments and properly badged and kitted-out will be a nice addition to the collection. I had stopped bidding once it exceeded the value of the helmet shell and gladly let another bidder go crazy. Turns out that his e-bay history was limited to a single other purchase. For whatever reason he did not follow-through on his commitment and I was offered a 'second chance' to buy it, at my price, which I did. I will share photos once I get it and provide 'before and after' shots.
Clive

Bill A
Bill A

March 8th, 2011, 11:18 pm #7

Clive, I am glad you got the item for the value you saw in it. It can be restored to a representative period item.
How convenient for the vendor the he found the other bidder was unwilling to fulfill his bidding contract in such a short period of time. It is very disturbing that, from all appearances, there was shill bidding on the lot. Ebay refuses to take these issues seriously.

Joe C
Joe C

March 9th, 2011, 4:08 am #8

Wow, what are the chances? A bidder with a feedback of 1 has bid on 45 items in the last 30 days and every single one was from the same seller!!! What are the chances that one person has everything you want? One lucky bidder... or is it seller?

March 9th, 2011, 12:24 pm #9

Hi Joe,

I tried to look this up and couldn't. How did you find this out?

Clive

March 9th, 2011, 12:48 pm #10

.. found the pag and have sent a complaint to e-bay - for all the good that will do. In any event I paid my max and there was a bid after the shill bid that would have seen me pay this in any event.