Fake PPCLI Marguerite Cap Badges?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Fake PPCLI Marguerite Cap Badges?

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

November 14th, 2006, 11:47 pm #1

I recently sold a brass WW1 PPCLI Marguerite cap badge to a fellow ex-Patricia and was rather surprised to hear him say that he felt that it is a fake badge because of something to do with the copper lugs (which look perfectly normal to me). I am not aware of any fake Marguerite badges but I am familiar with the copies produced by the regiment several years ago but they have pins on the reverse and not lugs. Although I don't have one of these copies to compare to, I am quite confident that this is not one of those. Has anyone encountered a fake WW1 PPCLI cap badge?

Also, I have another Marguerite that has a vertical pin for attachment rather than lugs. The pin is original to the badge and I have been told that this is an authentic variation and may have been used as an officer's collar badge. Can someone provide more information on this variation?

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

November 15th, 2006, 10:58 pm #2

I thought the Association had done up some of these badges for a reunion or something at one time?

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

November 15th, 2006, 11:30 pm #3

I am only aware of the copy with the pin backing, which would make more sense for a reunion than one with lugs as it could be easily attached to various items of clothing. But I don't know for certain. Here are some photos of the badge in question. Keep in mind that it was cleaned as it had some very unattractive staining.

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

November 17th, 2006, 1:54 pm #4

Are better photos needed? You can see that the badge does have some very legitimate wear patterns. If there are fake Marguerites I would love to know about it.

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

November 21st, 2006, 6:34 am #5

If anyone is interested, this badge was given a thumbs up by Lou Grimshaw who apparently has a fairly extensive collection of Marguerites. As far as I can tell there are no known fake Marguerites that are intended to fool collectors.

Craig B
Craig B

January 11th, 2009, 5:07 am #6

I recently sold a brass WW1 PPCLI Marguerite cap badge to a fellow ex-Patricia and was rather surprised to hear him say that he felt that it is a fake badge because of something to do with the copper lugs (which look perfectly normal to me). I am not aware of any fake Marguerite badges but I am familiar with the copies produced by the regiment several years ago but they have pins on the reverse and not lugs. Although I don't have one of these copies to compare to, I am quite confident that this is not one of those. Has anyone encountered a fake WW1 PPCLI cap badge?

Also, I have another Marguerite that has a vertical pin for attachment rather than lugs. The pin is original to the badge and I have been told that this is an authentic variation and may have been used as an officer's collar badge. Can someone provide more information on this variation?
I recently aquired one and it has a pin back. Can anyone shine some light on it?

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Paul Harrison
Paul Harrison

January 11th, 2009, 6:10 am #7

If anyone is interested, this badge was given a thumbs up by Lou Grimshaw who apparently has a fairly extensive collection of Marguerites. As far as I can tell there are no known fake Marguerites that are intended to fool collectors.
Steve;
If there is anyone in Canada who can give you information on the PPCLI and it's associated badges it is Louis Grimshaw in Kingston Ontario.
His Web Site is: http://www.grimshaw-military.on.ca/
He is a retired PPCLI Major and also a well know militaria collector/dealer. (I've known him for years, as have most of the guys who have attended any of the Canadian Militaria shows in the past 10-15 years). A great fellow and the right man to cfm or deny most things PPCLI. Steve, I'd suggest you E Mail him direct, if you do not know him, feel free to use me as an introduction. I don't think that he uses the internet much as far as Forums etc go. He will be able to tell you definitively.

Bill A
Bill A

January 11th, 2009, 12:06 pm #8

I recently aquired one and it has a pin back. Can anyone shine some light on it?

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The type of pin back show in the image is typical of the type of fastener found on badges worn on the pugaree.

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

January 11th, 2009, 6:05 pm #9

I thought that the pugaree badges were larger than the cap badge?

Craig B
Craig B

March 10th, 2009, 1:50 am #10

I found this on ebay and its out of the UK. Got it cheap.... looks questionable to me.... just a different patina... looks funny to me... what do you think????

[/IMG]

[/IMG]