Etobicoke Militaria Show this weekend

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Etobicoke Militaria Show this weekend

David R. Clark
David R. Clark

March 19th, 2007, 2:13 am #1

Anyone going to the Etobicoke Militaria Extravaganza this weekend??

Cheers!

D.C->

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

March 19th, 2007, 3:19 am #2

Will be there bright and early with the London Crew...M.

Stephen
Stephen

March 19th, 2007, 12:23 pm #3

Anyone going to the Etobicoke Militaria Extravaganza this weekend??

Cheers!

D.C->
Will be there bright and early.

Roger, dodger, under and over.

Stephen

Jaime Cline
Jaime Cline

March 19th, 2007, 5:21 pm #4

Looking forward to being out East again. Hopefully will have a few tempting pieces with me,
Jaime

D.C->
D.C->

March 24th, 2007, 5:44 pm #5

Just came back from the [Etobicoke] Toronto Military Show.
I am always impressed at some of the items that can be found.
Maybe it was just me, however, does there seem to be a HUGE increase in WW1 & WW2 German militaria (including reproduction "Potato Mashers")????

Never the less, the show was a great source for good old fashion hunting around and at great prices. I did notice a decrease in WW2 weapons (including Brens) like there once was.

I highly recommend a visit to the next show in June/July 2007!

Cheers!

David Clark

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

March 25th, 2007, 3:32 am #6

I, too, just returned from the Etobicoke militaria show.

I can't share the enthusiasm as stated above, about great prices.

In my opinion, the general prices have uplifted by about 25% over the last year.

Starting with admission, which was $5.00 previously, is now $7.00.

Just for an example, Lee-Enfield action covers, two years ago were $5.00 each, last year were fetching $12.00, this year, $20.00.

Another example...a Microphone, Hand, No 7 (for the 19 set), with snatch plug cut off...asking $65.00!!!

I noticed that some vendors were packing up around noon...2 1/2 hours before the show closed.

Were they leaving because they weren't getting sales because of their high prices?

Some may slag eBay for its perceived effect of driving item prices up, but some stuff I saw at the show could have been procured for far less cost...in USD!

Just my opinion.

Clifford S. Weirmeir
Clifford S. Weirmeir

March 25th, 2007, 3:51 am #7

I did not attend the show today as I had another commitment. Jon, I take a special interest in your post as your view is very similar to what I experianced the last few trips I have made to the Toronto shows. If the current trend continues, I may just stay here in Ottawa and not bother making the 8 hour round trip. Save my fuel money nad my time.

Any other comments abou this show??

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

March 25th, 2007, 1:37 pm #8

I had two tables at the show and I personally sold lots of stuff. Market price is set by market demand. You can ask $20,000 US for your SS officers tunic but unless you are wolf/harden you will not get it. This is the problem with Canadians. I understand that lee enfield covers were $5. Hell I can remember when they were $1 and nobody wanted them then. However you will find that most of these items are going out of our country into collectors hands in other countries. Wether the dollar is driving them to buy Canadian stuff because it is cheap or because they are collecting it or both does not matter. The issue is 10 years from now you will not find one cover for under $50 + I am sure. I have almost 2600 listings on ebay and 99.9% of my sales are out of this country. It has nothing to do with my asking price. It has to do with market demand and who is willing to pay the most money for something. Even in my retail store I find the same thing. I do not claim to know everything but I distinctly recall collecing bd's 20 years ago and they were no more than $30-50 to good units with all the badges on. Now how much are they??? On average they are $300-1200 for average to good units. Hmmm, maybe I should have kept them. Of course this is just my opinion but hey what do I know. There was only 4 dealers there with retail stores and I am one of them so maybe somebody should ask them and see what they say about this?

Rob Dekker
Rob Dekker

March 25th, 2007, 2:45 pm #9

I, too, just returned from the Etobicoke militaria show.

I can't share the enthusiasm as stated above, about great prices.

In my opinion, the general prices have uplifted by about 25% over the last year.

Starting with admission, which was $5.00 previously, is now $7.00.

Just for an example, Lee-Enfield action covers, two years ago were $5.00 each, last year were fetching $12.00, this year, $20.00.

Another example...a Microphone, Hand, No 7 (for the 19 set), with snatch plug cut off...asking $65.00!!!

I noticed that some vendors were packing up around noon...2 1/2 hours before the show closed.

Were they leaving because they weren't getting sales because of their high prices?

Some may slag eBay for its perceived effect of driving item prices up, but some stuff I saw at the show could have been procured for far less cost...in USD!

Just my opinion.

I first started the Etobicoke show in 1996...I charged $5.00 for admission and $20.00 per table plus I offered early admission at $20.00. I think I'm still suffering from the brain damage inflicted from all the whining & complaining...back in those days...tables at gun shows in Ontario were 5 bucks (free at a couple of shows) with an admission of $2.00 or so....it was a revolution!!! I also remember being verbally abused by some old lady because I charged admission to female entrants...I guess she figured that women just weren't worthy...good ol' show business!!!!

GP
GP

March 25th, 2007, 4:48 pm #10

I has talking to the senior "mapper" at the Ottawa Show last fall and he noted we could make a killing by buying the entire shows contents, loading it into a sea container, and selling it all off in Europe where the cost of everything is in the Stratosphere.