End of an Era Parade - 9 April, 2010

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

End of an Era Parade - 9 April, 2010

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 10th, 2010, 7:54 pm #1

Yesterday, Veterans Affairs Canada held a parade to not only mark the 93rd Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge but also to commemorate the passing of Canada's last Great War Veteran.

A couple of weeks ago VAC asked me to provide a four-man guard in WWI uniforms and thanks to the help of Colin Schlachta he managed to recruit three others for the event. Greame Robertson, Justin Walsh and Rich Lees did truely professional job, so good in fact that some of the press thought that they were all in the military. Working closely with VAC and DND for a national televised event like this means that the bar is set pretty high and from what I saw while at the parade and from what I have heard afterwards, those expectations were met.

Here are a few images.

Geoff Middleton
Geoff Middleton

April 10th, 2010, 10:53 pm #2

A fitting tribute for our veterans.

Scott Paton
Scott Paton

April 11th, 2010, 1:29 am #3

Yesterday, Veterans Affairs Canada held a parade to not only mark the 93rd Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge but also to commemorate the passing of Canada's last Great War Veteran.

A couple of weeks ago VAC asked me to provide a four-man guard in WWI uniforms and thanks to the help of Colin Schlachta he managed to recruit three others for the event. Greame Robertson, Justin Walsh and Rich Lees did truely professional job, so good in fact that some of the press thought that they were all in the military. Working closely with VAC and DND for a national televised event like this means that the bar is set pretty high and from what I saw while at the parade and from what I have heard afterwards, those expectations were met.

Here are a few images.

So glad to see that the 46th was represented! beauty tunic, hope that is a repro, I would never let that one out from behind glass!

looks like it was a very fitting tribute..much kudos.

S

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 11th, 2010, 2:05 am #4

All of the uniforms and much of the equipment were reproductions, the weapons are fully deactivated.

April 11th, 2010, 3:37 am #5

Hi all,

I have to say, that this was one of the most rewarding ceremonies I have
ever been part of, and thanks to Ed for his help in making this happen the
way it did. Ed and I both worked hard on this, and with Graham, Richard
and Justins hard work we helped make this important day that much more
special for everyone.

The rifle drill I conducted on Thursday evening was successful in ensuring
that when we went over everything for Fridays rehearsals we were looking
quite good. Thanks to Ed for assisting in making this so successful. A
member of the regular forces, who was on parade on Friday morning, told
me that we did well with our practice the night before, which made me feel
good. All of the uniforms were reproductions as well as the gas mask bags.
However, some of the kit was original such as the buttons, collars, helmets
and my puttees were original Great War period other rank ones. SMLE's
were all deactivated, and this was all fine for a ceremony like this.

It was a true privilege to have been part of this mementos ceremony.

Colin

Bruce Parker
Bruce Parker

April 11th, 2010, 7:38 pm #6

Here are a few images.

I watched the ceremony and the period uniforms were a great addition (as was the Sopwith one and a half strutter). The only agonizing part was when a CBC (CTV?) reporter referred to the 'costumes' as being 'wool fatigues similar to what would have been worn during the war"

April 12th, 2010, 12:39 am #7

Good job guys. I know many would feel it out of place, but I feel a few volleys with blanks would have been appropriate, if shocking to some folks.

I was a force of one out at Fort Rodd Hill. Few people realized the significance of the day. Needless to say, they got educated.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 12th, 2010, 4:01 am #8

We traditionally have a 21 gun salute fired by 105mm howitzers at these parades which provide more than enough 'bang' at these solumn services.

Since Vimy Ridge is a Canadian battle, I would not expect our American friends to be aware of the significance of the day; but thanks anyway for the support.

April 12th, 2010, 12:59 pm #9

Isn't Fort Rodd Hill out near Victoria, BC or have the Americans invaded yet again?

April 12th, 2010, 7:28 pm #10

Well, the fort sticks out past the 49th, but yes, we do guard the Canadian Navy in Esquimalt Harbour.

114 years and going strong- like I said, with a guard of one in a 7 button tunic