ebay vendor enquiry

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

ebay vendor enquiry

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

February 3rd, 2009, 7:34 pm #1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AQ:US:1123

Anybody buy from "cpmil" before? He has a bit of negative feedback and some neutral. I "won" three auctions recently and have had to email multiple times to get a response on a final total regarding combined shipping. I really hate "power sellers" who can't be bothered to communicate. What's worse, he didn't use the yellow button, so ebay didn't track his return email, and worse, he couldn't even be bothered to run the calculator and give me a total - he simply typed out the final cost of the three auctions, told me to add the shipping cost which he provided, and then told me to add 5% GST. And I'm now supposed to figure out if I charge GST on the shipping or not, but moreover, most guys just do all this and send a one-click invoice through the ebay system so the buyer can pay via Paypal.

Now I'm left in the uncomfortable position of wondering if this is some hothead who's not going to send my stuff at the slightest provocation because I dared to ask him a question, or worse, suggested he sent me an invoice.

Anyone else know this fellow? ebay also lists him as "Brent Fletcher" but I am getting emails from someone named "Mark", no last name.

Bill
Bill

February 3rd, 2009, 8:48 pm #2

Brent Fletcher runs Command Post Militaria in Victoria B.C. He is usually pretty good about auctions, maybe a bit slow sometimes. He does list some good material, and has been on ebay for 10 years this month. His detailed seller ratings are very good, and the negative feedback is 3 in a year for over 1700 transactions. I believe the Mark is an employee.
ebay could improve the feedback system immensely if it allowed a one click view of all the negative and neutral feedback. That tells you much more than hundreds of positive feedback.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 3rd, 2009, 8:48 pm #3

Anybody buy from "cpmil" before? He has a bit of negative feedback and some neutral. I "won" three auctions recently and have had to email multiple times to get a response on a final total regarding combined shipping. I really hate "power sellers" who can't be bothered to communicate. What's worse, he didn't use the yellow button, so ebay didn't track his return email, and worse, he couldn't even be bothered to run the calculator and give me a total - he simply typed out the final cost of the three auctions, told me to add the shipping cost which he provided, and then told me to add 5% GST. And I'm now supposed to figure out if I charge GST on the shipping or not, but moreover, most guys just do all this and send a one-click invoice through the ebay system so the buyer can pay via Paypal.

Now I'm left in the uncomfortable position of wondering if this is some hothead who's not going to send my stuff at the slightest provocation because I dared to ask him a question, or worse, suggested he sent me an invoice.

Anyone else know this fellow? ebay also lists him as "Brent Fletcher" but I am getting emails from someone named "Mark", no last name.
Brent Fletcher is "cpmil". He owns a long-running storefront business in Victoria BC called Command Post Militaria as well as the presence on eBay. One of his collegues is indeed named Mark.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

February 3rd, 2009, 9:15 pm #4

Brent Fletcher runs Command Post Militaria in Victoria B.C. He is usually pretty good about auctions, maybe a bit slow sometimes. He does list some good material, and has been on ebay for 10 years this month. His detailed seller ratings are very good, and the negative feedback is 3 in a year for over 1700 transactions. I believe the Mark is an employee.
ebay could improve the feedback system immensely if it allowed a one click view of all the negative and neutral feedback. That tells you much more than hundreds of positive feedback.
what has been written. Mark handles all the Ebay purchases. The easiest way I have found to deal with them is to phone them to get the final price because they are slow to get out their messages sometimes.

DT.

Anon
Anon

February 3rd, 2009, 9:22 pm #5

Brent Fletcher is "cpmil". He owns a long-running storefront business in Victoria BC called Command Post Militaria as well as the presence on eBay. One of his collegues is indeed named Mark.
I dealt with him once and have studiously avoided him ever since. I bought a medal listed in US dollars and phoned to get a conversion and shipping cost. I also got somebody else to deal with and wasn't told his name. He asked for my credit card number as that is how I chose to pay. He told me the cost would be "around $110.00, but no higher." Indeed I was billed $109.00 on my next visa bill but then, $10.00 on the month after that. I phoned Visa and had that charge reversed but have never dealt with him since.

He's clearly busy with a store and consigns the eBay work to a junior. Let's just say his give - a - #%$* factor is pretty low.

I disagree with Bill's point that he's usually pretty good having only 3 negative feedbacks in the last 10 years. That just says to me he's been at it long enough to have learned how to provide good service and he still angers 3 people a year to the point that they feel they have to leave him negative feedback.

Still, you could do worse. Gatewest Coins in Winnipeg is absolutly brutal to deal with. You must calculate your own conversion, tax and shipping cost from a cryptic website they direct you to. I was .23 cents short once and Ian Lang held up the shipment until I had paid the shortcomming. Absolutely disgusting.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 pm #6

For me, I have had top notch service from both Command Post and Gatewest Coins. Always fast, always efficient, I could not ask for better.

Perhaps it is because I am such a nice guy....

Joe Costello
Joe Costello

February 3rd, 2009, 9:53 pm #7

I have bought many items from cpmil, both through eBay and directly in his store. No worries from my perspective. Yes, the total isn't always clear up front and replies may be delayed but he's a legit business and not some 'dude' out of a basement. His stuff is very good and I wouldn't gladly deal with him again!!!
Last edited by dorosh on February 3rd, 2009, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2009, 12:09 am #8

Good to know; he seems uncomfortable with the "send invoice" feature as well, but hopefully I can get the total and my money off to him soon. Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I will not be number 4 on the dis-satisfied list for the year.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

David R. Clark
David R. Clark

February 4th, 2009, 12:38 am #9

I had the so-called opportunity to deal with "cpmil" through eBay, too.

Only disappointment! Had to get a charge-back on my VISA.

Bought a WW1 University of Saskatchewan single cap or collar badge, which was apparently "lost." Yet, funny how the second more expensive UofS item made it to the gentleman that I outbid on my auction! Maybe my piece ended up in his collection for a better price?

I stay away from "cpmil".

Best of luck,

D.C.

Liam
Liam

February 4th, 2009, 1:26 am #10

Have dealt for several years with Brent and visited their store many times. Never had a problem personally, per Ebay or email. Quite the varied inventory to peruse, and I know they spend much time scouring Vancouver Island for new items. As with any business (and people in general), there will always be a downside.