DSO list to RCAMC Officers, 2nd WW

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

DSO list to RCAMC Officers, 2nd WW

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

April 16th, 2012, 6:18 pm #1

Good day gentlemen. I would like to know if there is a list of all RCAMC DSO winners during the 2nd WW. AND how can I get a copy or can somone supply me with such a list.
Thanks
Jo

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

April 16th, 2012, 9:29 pm #2

Do you have a name? I can do a look-up of individual Canadians.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

April 16th, 2012, 11:40 pm #3

Good day gentlemen. I would like to know if there is a list of all RCAMC DSO winners during the 2nd WW. AND how can I get a copy or can somone supply me with such a list.
Thanks
Jo
There were a couple of corps history published, but I don't know if the award recipients are documented in the books.

http://canadiansoldiers.com/research/unithistories.htm

Feasby, W.R. (Editor) Official History of the Canadian Medical Services 1939-1945 Queen's Printer, Ottawa, ON, 1956

Nicholson, Gerald W. L. Seventy Tears of Service: a History of the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps Ottawa : Borealis Press, 1977. (388pp.)

May be worth checking out via inter-branch loan if you haven't already considered this avenue. I presume CFHS has a museum somewhere but I don't see anything via a quick google search...

Perhaps Doug T. can advise further...

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 17th, 2012, 1:58 am #4

The museum is part of the CFB Borden base museum.

DT.

April 17th, 2012, 6:29 pm #5

Thanks
Jo
Hi Jo;

These are the awards of the DSO I found to officers of the RCAMC during the period of the Second World War:

ANDERSON, Earle Howard, Major - Distinguished Service Order - RCAMC (4 Canadian Light Field Ambulance) - awarded as per Canada Gazette and CARO/5718, both dated 26 May 1945.

BASTEDO, George McClelland, Major - Distinguished Service Order - RCAMC (3 Canadian Field Surgical Unit) warded as per Canada Gazette dated 7 October 1944 and CARO/4986 dated 14 October 1944.

BOYDEN, Raymond Wilfred, Major - Distinguished Service Order - RCAMC (attached Cape Breton Highlanders) - awarded as per Canada Gazette and CARO/5304, both dated 27 January 1945.

CORRIGAN, Cecil Edwin, Major - Distinguished Service Order - RCAMC (8 Canadian Field Dressing Station) - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 7 October 1944 and CARO/4986 dated 14 October 1944.

ELDER, Herbert Munro, Colonel, ED - Distinguished Service Order - RCAMC - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 30 December 1944 and CARO/5235 dated 3 January 1945.

MacDOUGALL, John Taylor, Major - Distinguished Service Order - RCAMC (5 Canadian Light Field Ambulance) - awarded as per Canada Gazette and CARO/5565, both dated 14 April 1945.

McPHERSON, Alexander Donald, Major (Acting Lieutenant-Colonel) - Distinguished Service Order - RCAMC (12 Canadian Light Field Ambulance) - awarded as per Canada Gazette and CARO/5953, both dated 11 August 1945.

PROCTOR, Henry Archibald, Major - Distinguished Service Order - RCAMC (3 Canadian Infantry Division) - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 19 August 1944 and CARO/4819 dated 26 August 1944.

Cheers

Mark

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

April 17th, 2012, 7:46 pm #6

Many many thanks to Clive,Michael,Doug and Mark for your help on this subject. One more question for Mark....did you get the names from the Feasby or Nicholson books. I'm asking because it seems to me that there are not many DSO winners........and since I don't have a complete name on the tag(ex;---I--N--D--) in my uniform none of the names matches.
Thanks

Jo

April 17th, 2012, 8:29 pm #7

Hi Jo;

My source for this information was: Courage & Service - Second World War Awards to Canadians, by J. Blatherwick and H. Halliday; Published 2004 by Service Publications, Ottawa, Ontario, ISBN 1-89458-22-9.

Look here:http://www.servicepub.com/ under the CD-ROM titles menu on the left of the screen.

Cheers

Mark

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

April 18th, 2012, 4:40 pm #8

Thank you very much Mark for your help, much appreciated.
Cheers
JO

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

April 18th, 2012, 10:21 pm #9

One last question gentlemen. Does Nicholson names the DSO winner in his book ????
Thanks
Jo

Rob L
Rob L

April 18th, 2012, 11:41 pm #10

I recently added to my collection the barrack box of Major Corrigan, who is listed above. A friend picked up a very nice collection of items, presumably from his estate, including a uniform, personal wartime diaries, paybooks etc. The diaries were an especially interesting read.