Ding Dong

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Ding Dong

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

September 29th, 2000, 5:13 am #1

So if Trudeau was 80....that made him 20 during World War Two. What was he doing then? Anyone know?

Terry Hunter
Terry Hunter

September 29th, 2000, 11:50 am #2

I remember reading the newspaper reports from Canadian Veterans in 1984 attending the 40th Anniversary of the Normandy landings. They were miffed that Trudeau showed up. The Vets said that during WW II, Trudeau was riding around Montreal on a motorcycle wearing a Swastika!! The Vets were quoted as yelling at Trudeau during the ceremonies, "We didn't need you then and we don't need you now!!"

Art Johnson
Art Johnson

September 29th, 2000, 2:36 pm #3

So if Trudeau was 80....that made him 20 during World War Two. What was he doing then? Anyone know?
I believe he was a Zombie Lt. instructor with ROTC.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

September 29th, 2000, 7:11 pm #4

Since Mr Trudeau has never been my favourite PM, I can make a few pointed comments now that he has moved on.

I feel that he had done more damage to this country during his reign then perhaps any PM before or after. He destroyed the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Airforce with unification and all of the ramifications that followed. He almost severed our important links with the Crown. He drove the country to the brink of being bankrupt. He brought in language and cultural policies that have divided the country instead of unifying it; and to top things off, while in power he made a mockery of the responsibilities that we was entrusted with.

Of course, there will be much more in the news about this politician then all of the media combined on the several brave and loyal military men that have passed away this year in Canada.

Do not get me wrong, the PMs that have followed have not been much better; but I do not like the policies and direction that my country, Canada, now follows because of this guy.

When you get a chance, ask your MP to get you the figures on the cost of the state funeral...

His most famous quote, I think was, "fuddle duddle".

Mich
Mich

September 30th, 2000, 12:18 am #5

Couldn't agree more. Trudeau did more dammage to the Canadian military and Canada than any other politician that I know of.

The Maple Leaf forever!! Trudeau can move on.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

September 30th, 2000, 12:55 am #6

One of my sources tells me that Trudeau was in university during the Big One and was in the officer training program, but was such a shit disturber and bad apple that they kicked him out and wrote him off. Apparently one of his sons tried military college and got into an equal amount of trouble. As a third generation Alberta redneck I'm of course no fan of the man and I find it disgusting that all the politicians cannot say anything bad about the pompous ass now. To summarize his achievments: mulit-cultarlism, official biligualism, unification, deficiet finanncing, centralized federal power, consitution which doesn't guarantee property rights i.e. fee title lands and firearms and of course the 5 billion dollars he stole from Alberta under the N.E.P...(not enough room Mikey)

September 30th, 2000, 1:01 am #7

...when you run out of room, feel free to post second.

Oh Lord, CTV is just now talking about "why we fell in love with Pierre Trudeau...."

I hope there will be Albertans at his funeral giving him the finger, as he did to us.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Rich McKie
Rich McKie

September 30th, 2000, 2:32 am #8

This forum seems to be the only place in the country that is not participating in the P.E.T. Love-In....Thank God!
I can't wait until they "do the drop" and everyone forgets about the man.
We will never be able to undo the damage that he did.

Neil
Neil

September 30th, 2000, 4:09 am #9

Folks,
Sit back and take a look at the words you have posted here. How easy it must be for you to sit at your computer keyboards and fire brickbats at a dead 81 year old man.
Whether you liked him or not, Pierre Trudeau was a far greater Canadian than anyone posting to this esteemed list and did more for this country than all of us combined. His actions and resolve during the October Crisis of 1970 showed Canada that this country was worth fighting for; this country was worth loving; and this country was worth doing everything one could do to protect it. I sincerely doubt anyone out here would have had the balls to do what Trudeau did against the FLQ. How far was he willing to go to preserve Canada -- how do the words "Just watch me" sound?
Trudeau was a man dedicated to national unity at all costs and also a man dedicated to world peace and the work of the United Nations. His repatriation of the Canadian Constitution brought with it a new recognition of our rights as individuals and recognition of the aboriginal peoples of Canada as equal citizens of this country.
The honours accorded this great Canadian in the House of Commons are no different than those given any deceased Prime Minister, sitting Member of Parliament or distinguished Parliamentarian. Similar tributes were delivered on the death of Shaughnessy Cohen, MP a few years ago. Stanley Knowles, the conscience of the Commons, rested in state as befitted a great parliamentarian. The expense of this state funeral has nothing to do with enlisted members pay levels or helicopter contracts -- it is the cost of being part of a country that honours those who have given of themselves in service to their country. Many of us have chosen to serve our country in the military -- Pierre Trudeau chose the political arena. The respect for this man across this country is shown in no greater way than the Canadian flag flying at half mast in front of the Quebec National Assembly.
You are entitled to your opinions, however to speak ill of the dead who cannot rise to their own defense is perhaps the worst form of cowardice possible. When the United Nations Security Council pauses to honour your passings with a minute of silence, I will reconsider the impressions you have created for yourselves with your spiteful words and misplaced malice.

Neil Thomsen
Cambridge, Ontario

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

September 30th, 2000, 4:58 am #10

...and had plenty of charisma, was the greatest statesman in the history of his (and most other) nations, and was loved by millions. He cared for his dog, treated his friends well, was a captivating and entertaining conversationalist, was a very brave soldier decorated twice for gallantry, and showed a brilliance at politics and public speaking unmatched in his era.

Do we dare not speak ill of him, either?

By the way, Canadian flags don't fly at half mast, Neil, they fly at half staff. Dare we blame Trudeau and his Americanization of our fair nation for that gaffe?