Dieppe 1942 - Fusilier du mont royal display

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Dieppe 1942 - Fusilier du mont royal display

Nicolas
Nicolas

March 1st, 2010, 3:24 pm #1

Hello to all

Ive been able to find a couple of minutes (wife on shopping, the militaria zone already open with stuff unloaded etc ...) to set up a quick display

This is my Fusilier du mont royal in Dieppe 1942 project i want to do since 1992, i have other stuff to put along with here is a quick display. I'll soon go back to Dieppe.

... this soldiers has just given up the fight after all last landings craft were gone ... he tired and low on morale but done his best with all the assault troops this day he was unable to go trough the beach in this terrific raid ...

He's wearing a 1941 AG/C MKII helmet, a Tip top tailor BD jacket and a period private purchase collarless shirt

In an effort to make the captured troops unity collapse and ease their future information grabing interviews, the Germans told the entire POW that chocolate and bread were only given to the French Canadians thanks to the French government (wich was a full lie).
Showing they were not those kind of guys, the French mother tongue soldiers refused, this to have the same fate as their comrades. After everyone was given bread by the Germans
A great nation indeed

The French people along the march made their best to give something to eat & drink to the POW although it was forbidden and watch upon by the German guards

Honor to the whole Canadians troops

Nicolas 29yo from France

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

March 1st, 2010, 5:04 pm #2

Your FMR at Dieppe is starting to take shape. A couple of comments, just so you know, Canadian AGC Helmets were for an RCAF contract; and you will not see Canadian ORs in WWII wearing private purchase shirts. What you need for the Dieppe Raid is the ORs Collarless Shirt or the ORs Collar Attached KD cotton Shirt.

I hope this helps.

Nicolas
Nicolas

March 1st, 2010, 5:09 pm #3

Thanks for your comments

I have also a KD shirt with collar but it's on the way coming from an Ebay purchase (the OR brown ones are too expensives and hard to put apart faked ones)

Ok, for the AG/C that was an informations unknown to me

March 2nd, 2010, 4:08 am #4

Yes Nicolas,

You did well because that RCAF contract helmet is a rare one to find. You should be able to get a C.L.C, or G.S.W marked helmet that will be better for a Canadian army display.

Cheers from Canada,
Colin

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

March 2nd, 2010, 12:09 pm #5

Thanks for your comments

I have also a KD shirt with collar but it's on the way coming from an Ebay purchase (the OR brown ones are too expensives and hard to put apart faked ones)

Ok, for the AG/C that was an informations unknown to me
As 2 CID went over in late 1940, I would suggest a 1940-dated helmet or even a British made one, as 2 CID went over in late 1940 (pending Canadian production coming on-stream, Canada bought 140,000 British helmets for the CAOS)

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

March 2nd, 2010, 5:13 pm #6

Roger, would there be a well written, inexpensive book on the subject of Canadian helmets that could perhaps be purchased on line?

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

March 2nd, 2010, 7:17 pm #7

Ed;

Me thinks there is a publisher in Ottawa who has such a book available on line ... Roger may even know the author and the publisher of whom I speak ... in fact, you may know them both yourself

... now if I could only remember the name of the book? ... Tin Cans or something like that ...

Cheers

Mark

Clive
Clive

March 2nd, 2010, 8:46 pm #8

Who needs books? I can always throw out a blanket question to the world thanks to the internet.
(OK, this is just downright wrong!)

March 2nd, 2010, 8:59 pm #9

Clive;

... you really should learn how to read the words instead of just looking at the pictures, then you wouldn't have to throw out a blanket question to the world ...

and yes your right, this is just downright wrong ... we shouldn't be mentioning the words 'book','purchase' or 'buy' ...

Cheers

Mark

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

March 2nd, 2010, 9:48 pm #10

Not that I would want to suggest purchasing a book, but if I were a collector in France with an interest in Canadian helmets; I might want to check Service Publications online to see if they carry anything.

I would be willing to bet that the exchange rate from Cdn to Euros is pretty good as well....

But that is just me, not suggesting anything here at all.