Did US Army have War Diaries in WW2 … (?)

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Did US Army have War Diaries in WW2 … (?)

July 25th, 2008, 5:43 pm #1

I’m trying to find out about the 129th Signal Radio Intelligence Company. They were part of the 6th Army Group in the European Theater of Operations, US Army. I also have a note that the 129th was assigned to the Fifteenth (15th) Army.

The company took part in the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign, and was in the Rhineland.

From 2 May - 31 October 1945, the unit was in occupied Germany.

As mentioned in ‘Canucks by the Sea – The Canadian Army in Eastbourne during the Second World War’, in March 1944 the unit operated a radio intercept station near Eastbourne in East Sussex, England.

Someone has provided the following passing reference to the 129th SRIC:-

"The 3262d Signal Service Company was activated in England on 9 November
1944 ... 1st Lt. Fred T. O'Day, 01638182, who had been designated as
commanding officer, returned from his former assignment with the 129th
Signal Radio Intelligence Company in France and assumed command on the same
date.”

Will I be able to find official war diaries, as with British and Commonwealth forces? If so, where?

I presume there must be a US Army forum similar to MLU and 'Canadiansoldiers.com'; can someone pse advise? Perhaps I can find out if there is an official history and locate some former members of this unit.

Comments greatly appreciated …

Mike

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

July 25th, 2008, 7:41 pm #2

I did a Google search and found all sorts of references to personal diaries but not official diaries.
Try searching Google using this string "US Army official unit war diaries WW2".

DT.

July 25th, 2008, 9:42 pm #3

I’m trying to find out about the 129th Signal Radio Intelligence Company. They were part of the 6th Army Group in the European Theater of Operations, US Army. I also have a note that the 129th was assigned to the Fifteenth (15th) Army.

The company took part in the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign, and was in the Rhineland.

As mentioned in ‘Canucks by the Sea – The Canadian Army in Eastbourne during the Second World War’, in March 1944 the unit operated a radio intercept station near Eastbourne in East Sussex, England.

date.”

Will I be able to find official war diaries, as with British and Commonwealth forces? If so, where?

I presume there must be a US Army forum similar to MLU and 'Canadiansoldiers.com'; can someone pse advise? Perhaps I can find out if there is an official history and locate some former members of this unit.

Mike
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewforum.php?f=85

The US Army seems under-represented on the internet. I know of no GI collectors site, for example. The inimitable Jon Gawne runs www.militaria.com, but the site itself is mostly a joke and the forums he once hosted were not used and have long since vanished.

There are some good fellows in the Allied section of the Axis History forum, ironically enough, that may be able to give you a leg up. They encourage serious, sourced discussion there.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Ian Kotchian
Ian Kotchian

July 26th, 2008, 12:46 am #4

date.”

Mike
I've found this site to be helpful:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/

Strictly US Military (the rules are very strict for posting only US related posts except when related to joint operations/lend lease/bring backs) topics here and quite very serious collectors/historians just like this site. As far as war diaries, I would contact the US Army Signal Corps Museum which I believe is located at Fort Gordon, GA. They may be able to help.

Ian

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

July 26th, 2008, 2:32 pm #5

date.”

Mike
Try the Company of Military Historians (http://www.military-historians.org/). They have a forum which addresses a number of subjects and a lot of true experts who can guide you through US-military research. The Company is 50+ years old and boasts 1600 members. It's quarterly Journal is possibly the best magazine going if your interest is US uniforms and insignia. I am a Governor of the CMH and write the occasional article on Canadian topics in order to educate the membership.

Steve P.
Steve P.

July 26th, 2008, 5:44 pm #6

date.”

Mike
Here is another reference for US unit actions, some great articles in there:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/booksh ... -List.html

July 27th, 2008, 3:03 pm #7

Thanks for all the replies.

I've already had a lot of help from various people with this topic and will be following up the leads.

I echo Michael's comments about the Axis Forum; a lot of interesting stuff there. In particular, I recommend the List of Related Forums at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewforum. ... &sk=t&sd=d

Mike

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

July 28th, 2008, 6:27 pm #8

Yes, US units had WD's. Similar but not the same as ours. Since I have only seen the one kept by the FSSF which is in our archives, I am assuming that the others are either kept in Maryland or kept by the unit? I say this because the US had an odd way of dealing with material after the war.

BTW - For all you SA's out there, I am not talking about the one kept by the Canadian element.

Ian Kotchian
Ian Kotchian

July 29th, 2008, 10:01 pm #9

The War Diaries may be at the large archives repository in College Park, MD, but I would also enquire with the Center For Military History at Carlisle Barracks, PA. Their website is not great but has enough information to get you started in the right direction.

I also wanted to recommend the Company of Military Historians. A great institution and always looking for more members.