Dennison smock

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Dennison smock

Mike Dyer
Mike Dyer

June 13th, 2008, 6:26 pm #1

Well worn, but can not get any more original than this. What stories it could tell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26fvi%3D1

June 13th, 2008, 11:19 pm #2

So?

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 13th, 2008, 11:33 pm #3

I agree with Alex, so what? Ripped up, well worn, zipper modified, no provenance, just a well abused Denison. Could have sustained all of that damage during hunting expeditions in Ontario.

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

June 13th, 2008, 11:43 pm #4

Perhaps he has a motive for mentioning it? Perhaps he knows the seller? No I dont think so. I am sure he is just mentioning it for somebody who might have an interest in the subject. But hey, I am sure if you watch the item in question you will see it goes for more than it should because this dealer is famous for having this happen somehow. Funny how this happens with this particular seller

Mike Dyer
Mike Dyer

June 14th, 2008, 2:37 am #5

I thought it was of interest, as it is obvisouly a war time item and not used hunting moose in Nothern Ontario or hunting Jackass in Petewawa.

June 14th, 2008, 4:35 am #6

How can you tell where and when the jacket was ripped just by looking?

I always thought most military items were "surplus" because they were surplus to someone's need - i.e. no one actually used the thing.

I don't see any insignia on this denison - jump wings especially, or evidence of such, which would be a big draw indicating airborne use. I do realize snipers and scouts wore these during the Second World War without insignia, some with suitable modifications.

But to state categorically that this jacket saw field use during the war would not be possible based solely on pictures from the internet.

In fact, a jacket in such poor condition would have been turned in to QM for disposal and probably destroyed - not sold to the public or retained by the soldier. That leaves one to conclude that the damage was most likely done after the jacket left military service - either being retained by a soldier on discharge, or by being surplused off.

I am sure one of our friendly correspondents can correct me if I am wrong on that; but I have a hard time believing that a jacket reduced to tatters in war service would be permitted to exit the service that way; the soldier would turn it in for a new one and the army would fix or destroy the old one.
Last edited by dorosh on June 14th, 2008, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

June 14th, 2008, 12:38 pm #7

Very well said Michael. I couldn't agree with you more.

I have talked to many 1CPB veterans in the past decade and there were a number of them who used their smocks for fishing, huting, etc. until they were worn out and discarded.

I picked up one smock from a veteran who was using it to block the draft under the door in his garage. Another one I got still had the lead weights in the pockets from when he used to go fishing. Fortunately he was not an avid fisherman as the smock was still in great condition.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 14th, 2008, 12:57 pm #8

I thought it was of interest, as it is obvisouly a war time item and not used hunting moose in Nothern Ontario or hunting Jackass in Petewawa.
Mike, are you that 'thin skinned' that a comment evaluating a well abused and pretty battered Denison would result in veiled insults? Very interesting. As the old addage goes, "One persons treasure is another Jackass's garbage", I have a rag bin kicking around here with some BD and KD scraps in it, perhaps it has a story to tell as well, maybe I should list it on eBay....

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 14th, 2008, 1:00 pm #9

Very well said Michael. I couldn't agree with you more.

I have talked to many 1CPB veterans in the past decade and there were a number of them who used their smocks for fishing, huting, etc. until they were worn out and discarded.

I picked up one smock from a veteran who was using it to block the draft under the door in his garage. Another one I got still had the lead weights in the pockets from when he used to go fishing. Fortunately he was not an avid fisherman as the smock was still in great condition.
As Gary and Michael have stated, the damage could well have occured from post-military use.

jelle
jelle

June 15th, 2008, 8:03 am #10

Mike, are you that 'thin skinned' that a comment evaluating a well abused and pretty battered Denison would result in veiled insults? Very interesting. As the old addage goes, "One persons treasure is another Jackass's garbage", I have a rag bin kicking around here with some BD and KD scraps in it, perhaps it has a story to tell as well, maybe I should list it on eBay....
And as the label is not readable,it could easely been made postwar as well!!!!!