denison smock labels

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

denison smock labels

dale
dale

February 7th, 2008, 4:36 am #1

can any one tell me the correct wording on the size label for the denison smock, and the size numbers with coresponding height and chest measurments? did a search but didn't find anything. thank you, dale

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

February 8th, 2008, 5:55 pm #2

Here is an example of the marking (everything would be center justified of course):

SMOCKS, DENISON AIRBORNE TROOPS

Size 4
Height 5ft. 6ins. to 5ft. 8ins.
Breast 39 ins. to 41 ins.
Smith & Co.
/|\

Size 1: 5'3" - 5'5", breast 34-36
Size 2: same , breast 37-39
Size 3: 5'6" - 5'8", breast 36-38
Size 4: same , breast 39-41
Size 5: 5'9" - 5'11", breast 37-39
Size 6: same , breast 40-42
Size 7: 6'0" - 6'2", breast 39-41
Size 8: same , breast 42-44

I have other sizing info available (ie: sleeve lengths, length of the body from collar to bottom, etc..). Send me an email if you are looking for these types of measurements.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 8th, 2008, 8:00 pm #3

thats great, thanks for the information. just what i was looking for. dale

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 8th, 2008, 8:07 pm #4

can any one tell me the correct wording on the size label for the denison smock, and the size numbers with coresponding height and chest measurments? did a search but didn't find anything. thank you, dale
Check the Denison Smock post from January 27.

dale
dale

February 9th, 2008, 1:00 am #5

thanks, seen that when i did my search. but wanted a idea of how many sizes were involved.
general question, why is 40's & 50's battle dress type sizes so confusing? when i served it seemed easier. 1 short small, 5 reg med, 6 reg lg, ect type sizing labels. thanks again, you fella's are a wealth of information. dale

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

February 9th, 2008, 5:12 am #6

Battle dress was designed to fit more precisely than modern combat uniforms. Look at the DEU, many more sizes than the combat uniform.

dale
dale

February 9th, 2008, 11:16 am #7

i understand. but the brits seem to want to make things hard.
i worked with them a few times in the 80's. even there dpm cbt uniforms had a number system. then i think they went to a nato stock number system.
but the battle dress does look sharp. even though i wouldn't want to train in the field wearing a tie, not to mention putees and ammo boots.
i count my self lucky that i served wearing the old combat uniform, even though our unit rsm insisted on it being highly pressed. dale

February 9th, 2008, 3:15 pm #8

Thank Corcoran for jump boots.

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

February 10th, 2008, 1:44 am #9

i understand. but the brits seem to want to make things hard.
i worked with them a few times in the 80's. even there dpm cbt uniforms had a number system. then i think they went to a nato stock number system.
but the battle dress does look sharp. even though i wouldn't want to train in the field wearing a tie, not to mention putees and ammo boots.
i count my self lucky that i served wearing the old combat uniform, even though our unit rsm insisted on it being highly pressed. dale
Dale...Your RSM most probably insisted that your cbt uniform be not pressed, but wrinkle free! Go figure.

Great times, eh?

dale
dale

February 10th, 2008, 5:30 am #10

ya, highly wrinkle free. that came later, when base qm complained that to many sets of cbt's were coming in worn out from starch and pressing. i can remember we took torches and spoons, to our cbt boots to take off the pebbles so they could be spit shawn. great times. don't get me started. but i guess thats what a soldier does. only army that would insist work dress be as high a standard as dress uniform. used to feel sorry for trades men who got posted in. senior nco's loved getting all over them for wearing there work dress as, well work dress. paint spatters and all.