Death Plaque

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Death Plaque

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 20th, 2010, 3:09 pm #1

I was given this Great War Death Plaque a couple of days ago and interstingly enough the name is easily researched. He was a Private in the 3rd Battalion, 1024432, killed on 8 August, 1918 at the age of 18. He is buried in Toronto Cemetary on the Somme, France.

June 20th, 2010, 5:54 pm #2

Nice plaque, Ed. These are difficult (and expensive) to find to members of the 3rd Battalion.

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

June 20th, 2010, 9:10 pm #3

Often referred to as the "Dead Man's Penny".

rob L
rob L

June 27th, 2010, 10:01 pm #4

I picked this up at the Saturday market in Kandahar a few months ago. How it found it's way out of a British Officer's mess silver collection, and into the hands of Afghan locals is a mystery.
[/IMG]
A few queries over the internet and by the Monday morning I had the information that Lt Henderson, to whom the statue was named for, had been abducted along with 2 other officers and a driver in Ireland in the early 20s by the Sinn Fein. They were given a quick mock court martial, told to dig their own graves, (which they refused to do) and were executed. In the Hansard parliamentary records, Winston Churchill had to answer to the kidnapping and execution of the 3 officers and driver over the next several months.

Amazing the details that are now available thanks to the internet. Thirty years ago It would have taken years to come up with the same information that we now can research in a matter of hours (and from a tent in Kandahar no less).