CWAC 70th Anniversary display 17 Sep at War Museum

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

CWAC 70th Anniversary display 17 Sep at War Museum

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

September 11th, 2011, 3:30 am #1

Just a reminder - a display of CWAC kit and memorabilia will be on display at the Canadian War Museum Saturday 17 September from 10am to 3 pm in the Lebreton gallery (tanks, guns and vehicles).

The display celebrates the formation of the Canadian Womens Army Corps 13 August 1941. Some 22.000 Canadian women, and British women married to Canadian soldiers, served in the Corps until it was disbanded 26 September 1946. In 1951, the Corps was reformed as an integral part of the Canadian Army (Militia) till 1968 when unification occured. The CWAC simply changed their cap badge and other insignia and continue to serve up to today wherever the Canadian Forces sends them

CWAC veterans will be in attendance to tell their stories.

Items on display will be from my personal collection.

Hope to see you!!

DT.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

September 19th, 2011, 3:48 pm #2

Any interesting stories?

We had a CWAC display at the Museum of the Regiments in Calgary many years back (now The Military Museums). We drove our jeep out and a couple of us stood sentry during the reception in BD. A couple of the CWAC vets were quite enamoured with the jeep and told some interesting stories about their time as drivers. Seeing the number of 5 foot girls driving "monster trucks" in Calgary today, I think the attraction to machinery is as strong in as many young females as males, and may have been no different in 1944, at least to have heard those CWACs tell it.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

September 26th, 2011, 7:35 pm #3

How did it go?? It went great!!!

I sent a flyer to all the CWAC veterans I knew and they passed copies to other veterans. We got a lot of word of mouth advertising, and CBC Radio, hearing about the display, interviewed the War Museum planner with whom I was dealing.

Five veterans showed up whom no one in Ottawa realized that four of the five lived in the city. The fifth veteran came all the way from Parry Sound on Geogian Bay. She served for three years in No. 1 Kinetheodolite Detachment RCA helping ack-ack gunner to sharpen their marksmanship. In the det were 19 CWAC members, one officer and 2 NCOs, all of whom had post-graduate degrees in mathematics except this one veteran who had just grade 13 Ontario in trigonometry. I was thrilled to meet her because I am researching the Det for a future article about the CWAC members which according to one reference were given the local rank title of Gunner vice Private.

As well, a student from Carleton University doing her doctorate on women in the army in WW2 joined me to meet the veterans and question them.

Lastly, a woman came up to me and offered me a visitors guje to Glasgow Scotland which her aunt had used when serving in the CWAC overseas. She has offered me other memorabilia which I hope to receive soon.

A great day for the CWAC said many of the veterans.

DT.

Geoff Middleton
Geoff Middleton

October 7th, 2011, 9:05 pm #4

or something you are selling!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WW2-Canadian-CWA ... 3cbcd80b7f

WW2-Canadian-CWAC-store-front-cutout-original

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

October 7th, 2011, 11:17 pm #5

I picked one up off Ebay last year. Only two I have ever seen on Ebay. FYI, there is a life-size version of this item too.

DT.