Coloured patches behind badges

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Coloured patches behind badges

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

May 5th, 2007, 7:42 pm #1

I would appreciate the assistance of anybody with my attempt to find which Canadian army badges were worn with a coloured cloth device behind them and during which era. This could be a tartan, coloured felt or hackle for that matter. I expect some of these devices would have been dropped for field service but I would like to know about them regardless. I have seen examples on eBay of RCMP badges with a blue felt backing and was told by and expert that this was wrong. I have also seen WW2 RCOC with blue. Certainly Dentistry and Forestery badges are seen with green felt and many infantry regiments with red but I am looking for historically correct examples.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Green

May 5th, 2007, 9:01 pm #2

Which era? Which units?

You realize a list would involve hundreds of different samples, yes? I could name dozens off the top of my head. In the Second World War, the QOR wore a square of rifle green cloth. The Royal Winnipeg Rifles were a patch of the same colour cut to conform to the outline of the badge. There were dress instructions during the war also that corps cap badges were to be backed in the arm of service colours adopted for officers' insignia. Highland units used their own tartan, but not on the glengarry. These were also usually cut to a specific shape from a specific part of the tartan - Calgary Highlanders used the junction of the double green lines, for example.

etc.

Your question is too broad to give a complete answer to. Many variations have been forgotten over time, and even within regiments, practice has changed. Rifle green cap backings would be pointless on a rifle green beret, for example.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

May 5th, 2007, 10:12 pm #3

I realize it's a large field Mike but I didn't want to ask the questions with my current prejudices so left it wide open. WW2 would interest me the most. I hadn't heard about the rifle green square of the QOR's. I shall add that. I know many infantry regiments wore red and some armoured units wore black. I have many of the tartans sorted out already but not all. The five I don't know are AS&H, SDG's, Cape Breton Highlanders, Lanark & Renfrew and Lorne's Scots. One can nearly always find the regimental tartans of these groups but the info is scarce as to whether they wore patches behind their badges.

Any quick note would be appreciated and people can click on my name in upper right corner to avoid making this thread too long.

Too much to ask?

Thanks

Kevin

David Soltess
David Soltess

May 6th, 2007, 7:28 pm #4

Argyll & Sutherland, Cape Breton HGs and Lanark & Renfrews all used the government tartan, and the Lorne Scots used the Campbell of Argyll tartan.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 6th, 2007, 9:08 pm #5

RCMP wore red felt cropped to shape of badge as 1 Cdn. Provost Corps.

Loyal Edmonton wore red as well.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

May 6th, 2007, 10:47 pm #6

Argyll & Sutherland, Cape Breton HGs and Lanark & Renfrews all used the government tartan, and the Lorne Scots used the Campbell of Argyll tartan.
The actual tartan is the Ancient Campbell of Argyll.

DT.

Bruce Parker
Bruce Parker

May 7th, 2007, 2:27 am #7

Which era? Which units?

You realize a list would involve hundreds of different samples, yes? I could name dozens off the top of my head. In the Second World War, the QOR wore a square of rifle green cloth. The Royal Winnipeg Rifles were a patch of the same colour cut to conform to the outline of the badge. There were dress instructions during the war also that corps cap badges were to be backed in the arm of service colours adopted for officers' insignia. Highland units used their own tartan, but not on the glengarry. These were also usually cut to a specific shape from a specific part of the tartan - Calgary Highlanders used the junction of the double green lines, for example.

etc.

Your question is too broad to give a complete answer to. Many variations have been forgotten over time, and even within regiments, practice has changed. Rifle green cap backings would be pointless on a rifle green beret, for example.
Kevin, I'm sure what you are asking is valid and what members here can offer will go a long way to answering your questions. Putting together what has been seen, or known from experience, could go a long way.

I can confirm the Royal Regiment of Canada, in later WW2 at least, wore a red backing that followed the outline of their cap badge. By the 1970's to 1980's the red was reduced to what was visible in the opening under the Royal Garter. A "Du Maurier" cigarette package sufficed in a pinch.

From my experience, the Lincoln and Welland Regiment wore no backing, nor did examples of the RCA and RCE that I've seen. Every RCCS badge I've seen is backed with blue in the shape of he badge. I can confirm the QOR wore a dark green back to their badge.

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

May 7th, 2007, 4:35 am #8

It's very good to hear from all of you. All I require is decisive direction on this as I have seen so many conflicting colours on eBay.

Thanks again and keep them coming!

I have seen RCOC on red and RCEME on blue. Doug, would you know about those?

Kevin

Bill
Bill

May 7th, 2007, 10:53 am #9

Kevin, I'm sure what you are asking is valid and what members here can offer will go a long way to answering your questions. Putting together what has been seen, or known from experience, could go a long way.

I can confirm the Royal Regiment of Canada, in later WW2 at least, wore a red backing that followed the outline of their cap badge. By the 1970's to 1980's the red was reduced to what was visible in the opening under the Royal Garter. A "Du Maurier" cigarette package sufficed in a pinch.

From my experience, the Lincoln and Welland Regiment wore no backing, nor did examples of the RCA and RCE that I've seen. Every RCCS badge I've seen is backed with blue in the shape of he badge. I can confirm the QOR wore a dark green back to their badge.
When I joined The Lincoln and Welland Regiment in 1957 the unit wore a red felt patch behind the badge. The practice continued into the mid 1960s.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

May 7th, 2007, 4:02 pm #10

During the war, I think around 1942 period, all infantry units were to wear a red cloth behind their cap badge. This obviously excludes rife, highland, certain corps etc. who wore their own coloured cloth. This is noted in several war diaries.