Collecting and Worth

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Collecting and Worth

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 9th, 2012, 4:41 am #1

This article could apply to militaria.

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

February 9th, 2012, 1:09 pm #2

I,ve been saying this for years and the numbers prove it.Our club The CSMMI has been struggling to keep members over the last decade as the old guard of members leave us one by one.The club has montly meetings and sales however the focus always has been on the history and research of our artifacts.It seems the "what is worth" crew now completely outnembers the "what is it" constituency as seen in the attendance of other shows that have a more commodity trading feel to them.At those shows I continually hear and see hyper aggressive dealers and no knowledge/fat wallet collectors always arguing about price and value instead of origins, history and authentication.Its been a little sad for me to see but its seems that is just the way things are...a kind of frantic dumbing down of the hobby in favour of the hoarding mentality. Just my two cents...