Cleaning Mess Tin

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Cleaning Mess Tin

Mike P
Mike P

April 20th, 2008, 4:39 pm #1

Hello All,

I have a question for you regarding the cleaning of a couple of Canadian WW2 era mess tins and I was hoping that one of you may have some experience along this line. I found one of my grandfathers old mess tins in a granary and some rusting has occurred. What has happened is the handles on one as rusted, and that rusting has also stained the aluminum interior of the smaller of the two tins. The rusting on the tin itself does not appear to be too bad and mostly seems to be as a result of surface contact with the rusting handle. Have any of you encountered something similar and if so, do you have any advice on the best method to clean / restore these tins to a serviceable state?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Mike

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

April 20th, 2008, 7:38 pm #2

Use sand if you don't mind (additoinal) scratch marks in the tin.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 20th, 2008, 8:32 pm #3

Hello All,

I have a question for you regarding the cleaning of a couple of Canadian WW2 era mess tins and I was hoping that one of you may have some experience along this line. I found one of my grandfathers old mess tins in a granary and some rusting has occurred. What has happened is the handles on one as rusted, and that rusting has also stained the aluminum interior of the smaller of the two tins. The rusting on the tin itself does not appear to be too bad and mostly seems to be as a result of surface contact with the rusting handle. Have any of you encountered something similar and if so, do you have any advice on the best method to clean / restore these tins to a serviceable state?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Mike
befor the army took them out of service (80's) and replaced them with melmac plates, we just used comet or ajaks and scowering pad. sand in field situation.

Mike P
Mike P

April 22nd, 2008, 7:42 pm #4

Thanks Fellas for the Tips!