Canadian Marked Lanchester Magazine Pouch

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Canadian Marked Lanchester Magazine Pouch

Geoff
Geoff

December 9th, 2010, 8:05 pm #1

I thought I would share a couple pics of a rare piece of webbing which I recently added to my collection. It is a 1943 British proofed Lanchester SMG mag pouch in 37 web. What is unique though, is the Canadian C Broad Arrow mark as well. I think this was likely part of the equipment issued to the the RCN Beach Commando "W". It originally surfaced in the Halifax area.

Any thoughts or opinions out there?

Geoff

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

December 9th, 2010, 9:17 pm #2

Geoff,
This pattern is vintage Royal Navy webbing,that was issued with the Lanchester SMG! It was used with R.N. 1919 web and was issued from 1940's up to usage with the Royal Navy Boarding Parties during the Borneo Confrontation 1962-1966.

A couple of links on these pouches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanchester_submachine_gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnZWCs4yoQE

Ed Storey would definitively know more about this webbing then I do

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

December 9th, 2010, 9:42 pm #3

I thought I would share a couple pics of a rare piece of webbing which I recently added to my collection. It is a 1943 British proofed Lanchester SMG mag pouch in 37 web. What is unique though, is the Canadian C Broad Arrow mark as well. I think this was likely part of the equipment issued to the the RCN Beach Commando "W". It originally surfaced in the Halifax area.

Any thoughts or opinions out there?

Geoff

More likely this pouch came from RCN ships stores as the RCN Beach Commando equipment came from UK stores and was handed back in on their return to the UK.

The Lanchester was an RCN/RN issue SMG and they were issued to RCN ships which would make the pouch surfacing in Canada more likely.

All in all, an interesing pouch with a nice marking.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 9th, 2010, 9:45 pm #4

Thanks Guys,

I didn't realize that the Lanchester was part of RCN ships stores as I thought only the RCN commando was issued it.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Cheers,

Geoff

December 10th, 2010, 12:36 am #5

Thanks in return for sharing the photo.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com