Canadian Gas Cape

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Canadian Gas Cape

Geoff
Geoff

April 22nd, 2008, 8:19 pm #1

Hi,
Does anyone have a Canadian marked WW2 gas cape that they are interested in parting with? Thanks

Paul Harrison
Paul Harrison

April 23rd, 2008, 12:00 pm #2

Geoff, please contact me off line. I'm currently away on business but may have what you need.

John Mullen
John Mullen

April 29th, 2008, 10:41 pm #3

Hello
Is this gas cape still available, please let me know.

Many thanks
John

jelle
jelle

May 12th, 2008, 8:07 am #4

Geoff, please contact me off line. I'm currently away on business but may have what you need.
Can someone show me the difference between a british and canadian gascape,please?

cheers jelle

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

May 12th, 2008, 11:00 am #5

Perhaps Paul can fill us in on these details.

Paul Harrison
Paul Harrison

May 12th, 2008, 3:41 pm #6

Can someone show me the difference between a british and canadian gascape,please?

cheers jelle
The only "Canadian" gas Capes that I've seen are a multi-colour pattern with sleeves. They are all C Broad Arrow marked (unless markinga are worn away) on the inside bottom flap (usually in Black), and also the manufacturers details in Yellow or White ink. Also the Brass snaps on Canadian Capes are usually made by United Carr, I'd suspect that Brit ones are NEWEY. Just a guess. While in the UK, I've looked at a few British ones, they are a solid green or brown. I do not have the dates of issue/introduction to svc for any of this at my fingertips. All are a cotton base impregnated with linseed oil as I recall. Mike's Book CANUCK has some good black and white pics of original Canadian capes. For anyone with some military experience, you'll find that the Canadians carried both British and Canadian capes, and very few of these still exist as they become hard and tend to break up. They were used as a lightweight raincoat and it was quite effective. I'm sure that a few of the others on the forum can amplify with additional info. If you are looking to use one for display (rolled, not worn), two of the Gas Helmet covers look the same when stuffed with padding and rolled up. The material is the same as the cape.

Geoff Robinson
Geoff Robinson

May 12th, 2008, 9:28 pm #7

Thanks to Paul, I am now the proud owner of the cape in question. The camo gas hoods and full helmet covers are identical in pattern and material to the cape. All my gas gear in camo, dates from 1941 (hoods that is, I can't read the cape date). All parts have the maker marked in Yellow lettering and then there is the black inked C broad arrow.
I also have the first pattern helmet cover (just fits around the rim of the mk II helmet and has a neck cover) which is dated 1939, Canadian made and marked, but is in the dark green/brown. It is likely a safe assumption that Canada produced matching capes in 1939 in solid colours before introducing the camo variant.

Colin S
Colin S

May 12th, 2008, 11:56 pm #8

The only "Canadian" gas Capes that I've seen are a multi-colour pattern with sleeves. They are all C Broad Arrow marked (unless markinga are worn away) on the inside bottom flap (usually in Black), and also the manufacturers details in Yellow or White ink. Also the Brass snaps on Canadian Capes are usually made by United Carr, I'd suspect that Brit ones are NEWEY. Just a guess. While in the UK, I've looked at a few British ones, they are a solid green or brown. I do not have the dates of issue/introduction to svc for any of this at my fingertips. All are a cotton base impregnated with linseed oil as I recall. Mike's Book CANUCK has some good black and white pics of original Canadian capes. For anyone with some military experience, you'll find that the Canadians carried both British and Canadian capes, and very few of these still exist as they become hard and tend to break up. They were used as a lightweight raincoat and it was quite effective. I'm sure that a few of the others on the forum can amplify with additional info. If you are looking to use one for display (rolled, not worn), two of the Gas Helmet covers look the same when stuffed with padding and rolled up. The material is the same as the cape.
I've seen one British made gas cape sold on eBay a year ago, and it was clearly a British made one with the Broad Arrow clearly stamped inside. It was also multi-coloured with the green & brown camouflage like the Canadian made kind described above. The colours were however "washed-out" and I figured it was because someone did not like the linseed oil on it & messed the cape up by removing the oil. The brown was a pink colour sadly & the green was very faint. It just didn't look right at all. shake head It was all there, but the colours were just very, very wrong. If memory serves me correctly I think Paul is correct in thinking the snaps were Newey made.

There are a couple of vendors today who sell repro gas capes but these are of the one colour kind. The early gas cape material was a dark chocolate brown kind and this is reproduced at Pegasus Militaria in the UK. The late war Green colored variant is reproduced by both Pegasus Militaria & What Price Glory in the USA (WPG). WPG's reproduction is not covered in linseed oil, which makes it easier to handle, but it is not how they were issued to the troops. (It is well constructed though.)

The manufacturer for my original Canadian full length gas cape is "TOWER" over the date 1943, which is over three stars in yellow ink. The snaps are of the smooth brass kind made by United Carr but there is no United Carr stamp seen anywhere. This kind of snap is seen on Canadian web products made in 1943 & after.

Tower is also the manufacturer for my mid-length gas cape and is dated 1942 and is stamped the same way as my other one being over the three stars, but this time in white ink. The snaps on it are of another manufacturer though. The maker of the snaps were difficult to read, but it is something like: Prov. Bay. Fastener Co. and they are made out of steel. The material of the cape is brown & green.

I have a British made 1940 dated gas wallet and it is dark chocolate brown in colour with Newey made snaps. The maker is "WE" beside a date of 9-1940. Under a larger Broad Arrow and at the bottom are three stars all printed using black ink.

The Dominion Rubber Company Ltd made my gas hood in 1941, and it is brown & green in colour. There are no three stars interestingly.

A company called "Aristo" in Galt Ont. made my helmet cover in 1942, and it is like all other Canadian made gas protection equipment I have with it being coloured green & brown. The one snap is made out of steel (like the one in the mid-length cape described above), and the female portion of the snap is clearly made by United Carr. Interestingly there are three stars printed, but the stars are the kind one would see on a VW Peace Van from the 1960s.

Lastly, I have only one anti-gas boot made in 1942 by the Kaufman Rubber Co. Ltd in yellow ink. There are no stars printed and the colour is dark chocolate brown.

Hope these details help.

Colin

David Gordon
David Gordon

May 13th, 2008, 2:51 am #9

We used to see the cotton white with pink camouflaged capes here in Texas several years back. Story originally was they were gas capes which had been bleached. Then later that was changed to capes which were never sprayed with oil since they were clearly mint and it would be impossible to get them so clean if they have been oiled. Always seemed suspect though and much later we were told they could possibly have been desert camouflage being very light and airy while having the same effect as the later SAS Pink Panthers.

The cut was the same as the gas capes and they had the same cloth tapes.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

May 14th, 2008, 2:00 am #10

There are quite a few interesting pieces of WWII British/Canadian Anti-Gas Clothing, here are some photographs of some of the markings.

Here are the markings off of a Canadian Gas Cape:

[/IMG]

Canadian Anti-Gas Hoods:

[/IMG]

British Anti-Gas Hoods:

[/IMG]

A pair of Canadian Anti-Gas Wallets:

[/IMG]